AFPDS to TIFF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AFPDS to TIFF

I saw in the Tips and Techniques section a reference to generating PDF files from the AS/400. I got the impression, though, that that method only works with text files. I need something which will convert AFPDS printer output with graphics/page segments and barcodes, as well, and preferably to tiff format.

I also saw a reference to BVSTools, and looked into their conversion tool. The price isn't too bad, so if it works and is the best way to go, please let me know.

Thanks!

Re: AFPDS to TIFF

This I was told works

jamie
    All my answers were extracted from the "Big Dummy's Guide to the As400"
    and I take no responsibility for any of them.

www.code400.com

Comment

Hi KC5F:

for afp to pdf see this link:

There is a link to an article in mcpress online

I'll look for the TIF version

Best of luck
      GLS
      The problem with quotes on the internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity.....Abraham Lincoln

Comment

This is for spool to tif but i'm not sure if it will handel afp.

Best of Luck
        GLS
        The problem with quotes on the internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity.....Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Take a look at BlueSeries - it can maybe help you.

http://www.system-method.com/bs/produkt.htm

Regards,

Bent

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions - hopefully one of them will work.

Jamie - That was the code I looked at from the Tips and Techniques pages. Looking through the code I had gotten the impression it was only handling text input. If none of the others pan out, I'll try this one.

GLS - The MC Press one looks good. I'm looking into it. The seond one looked even better, being a single program using existing API's, but I've been getting errors with it. When I run it from the command I'm getting the error, "Command failed. reason - API QwpzHostPrintTransform failed : CPF9801 hptop". IBM shows that as not finding the file, but when I use the same parameters on DSPSPLF I see the spool file just fine...

Bent - This looks like another option, but when you have to email them to find out the price... The other option we'd been looking at is only $379, so we probably would look at it before this one.

Thanks again, all!

Comment

Okay - I was able to get the SPL2TIFF program to work, once I had all of the pieces. It just uses one RPGLE program calling API's, but I hadn't built the workstation customization object. Once it was out there it worked great! Thanks for your suggestions, everybody!

- Steve

(All links at http://search400.techtarget.com/tip/...854097,00.html )

Comment

Steve,

would you mind writing a bit about the workstation customization object creation.

thanks
                jamie

www.code400.com

Comment

Well, I guess I did make it sound like I created it... What happened was that I didn't have the link I gave in my last post, and didn't realize that the customization object was one of the things the author had already provided, and which I hadn't downloaded. All I did was copy in what he wrote and then everything worked. So I'm probably not the one to write anything up - I just followed the directions, once I understood them. Sorry!

In trying to get everything running, though, I did find a great resource on workstation customization objects starting at page 145 of http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/GG244389.html - I hope that helps!

Comment

Thanks....Im always interested in something new...(well new to me) We use forms tools here...we have jet forms, tl ashford and formscape.

www.code400.com

Comment

I also just found http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/iserie...s/c4156050.pdf which in Chapter 10 starting at page 165 gives everything anyone would want to know about customizing WSCST. We've used them in the past to assign drawers in various printers, but not much more.

The only real command used in the SPL2TIFF WSCST object is the PRTDTASTRM Printer Data Stream tag, changed to TIFF_G4 for "Tagged Image File Format with G4 compression." Not much, but it makes it work!

Comment

I have installed SPLF2TIFF including all pieces. It runs 'successfully' but the resulting TIFF file is incomplete. It contains what look to be control codes, but no actual spool file contents. When I view it, I get a black line in the middle of the page.

I started simple, just a one page query report.

Any advice on how to make this command work on my system? (V5R2)

Thanks.

Walt Bennett
                        Astec Systems, Inc.
                        wbennettjr@yahoo.com

Comment

What DEVTYPE is your spoolfile? We use the tool to convert spoolfiles to PDF which include barcodes with no problems.

Comment

Originally posted by wbennettjr View Post
                            Any advice on how to make this command work on my system? (V5R2)
                            We're on V5R3, generating AFPDS spool files to convert to TIF. I don't see anything in the writeup to indicate it shouldn't work with V5R2, though.

One thing I did notice is that I originally thought it was leaving out data until I realized the TIFF viewer I was using wasn't showing me the multiple pages. It sounds like you're printing a single page, though..

Comment

WSCST Help

Hello,

I have a very strange problem, without any reasonable answer.
                              We changed our system - from remote to local.

Everything restored from the "remote", just one thing is missing, one workstation customisation object for the printer.

the main role of this customisation object (that we used before), when I release a spool file to the writers, at that time when we print this, with the customisation object (WSCST) change some characters to escape sequences.

With our new system, I can't find any way how to reproduce this (the old system is not reachable anymore for me)

We using two characters, the first is changing from 10CPI to double height and double width (eq. really big letters), and the second one set back.

What I know:
                              1. the character codes to be replaced.
                              2. the correct escape sequences to change the typefaces
                              3. the code page from: 870 and the dest: 852

What is missing:
                              1. the complete HOWTO

I checked out the WSCST redbook, but I can't find a solution.
                              It's very urgent, because I creating logistics documents - which is not really useful with this small letters...

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X