iSeries SQL to Excel Spreadsheet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iSeries SQL to Excel Spreadsheet

This may be an old tool for a lot of people, but it is a tool that I just came across. The users in my company are asking for more and more Excel spread sheets from the iSeries database. They also want these spread sheets to be generated automatically and sent via e-mail, or course the first thing in the morning is a must. The PC server, where we have a package that can do this is now over taxed with batch jobs and if one of those jobs fails then every job behind it is backed up.

I searched for a simple solution where I can put some of the processing back on the iSeries and off the server. I came across one and the few test I did is showing promise. This tool will take a SQL SELECT statment and generate an .xls in the IFS folder of you specifcation.

To find out more about this tool read the two articles from Giuseppe Costagliola.

andy's home page

*******latest version as of today http://www.code400.com/downloads/jex..._2_5_8.tar.tar

Let me know is you use this and how is it working for you.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Re: iSeries SQL to Excel Spreadsheet

I just started using iSeries Access for Web to do this kind of thing, and I LOVE IT! Don't know anything about the tool to which your are referring. Sorry.

Michael
    "Time passes, but sometimes it beats the <crap> out of you as it goes."

Comment

I read the overview and it sounds good, but we are not in a position to use it at this time.

Are you using Open Office or Microsoft for the spread sheet. The overview mention Open Office, my favorite, but the company standard is Microsoft Office
      Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Comment

MS Excel is the standard for our company as well as most of my clients. I have not tried it with Open Office, but the list of output types is pretty extensive.

Michael

Comment

Michael - It seems this (Iseries access for web) is available to me now????

I'm on V5R3 - What do I have to do to give her a try????

Thanks
          Jamie
          All my answers were extracted from the "Big Dummy's Guide to the As400"
          and I take no responsibility for any of them.

www.code400.com

Comment

Originally posted by jamief
            Michael - It seems this (Iseries access for web) is available to me now????

I'm on V5R3 - What do I have to do to give her a try????

Thanks
            Jamie
            You need:
            • OS/400 V5R3 Base plus Options 3, 8, 12 & 30
            • 5722-DG1: IBM HTTP Server for iSeries
            • 5722-JV1: Developer Kit for Java (at least v1.2)
            • 5722-JC1: IBM Toolbox for Java
            • 5722-TC1: TCP/IP Connectivity Utilities for iSeries
            • An application server (either Tomcat or WAS)
            • 5722-XW1: iSeries Access Family
            • 5722-XH2: iSeries Access for Web (part of 5722-XW1)

All of these are either free, included with certain editions of the server (i.e., Enterprise Edition includes a version of WAS, though I don't remember which one), or included with products you may already own. If you currently own licenses for iSeries Access for Windows 5250 Emulation, you can use that license for iSeries Access for Web.

Steps to install and setup:
            1. Verify licensed programs are installed
            2. Install iSeries Access for Web
            3. Apply PTFs (Cume, WebSphere, HTTP and iAW)
            4. Setup an HTTP server
            5. Setup an application server
            6. Install iAW as an application in the application server
            7. Start your HTTP & application servers
            8. Open a browser to http://yourserverIP:yourappserverport/webaccess/iWAHome

If you want to use SSL, you need OS/400 Option 34 and one of the Cryptographic Access Providers. For enhanced PDF document management, you should also buy and install InfoPrint Server.

If I can get a softcopy version of the COMMON handout that covers Installation and Configuration, I'll try to post it here.

Michael

Comment

Here's the powerpoint of a presentation I and my co-worker gave this past Tuesday night at the local users' group meeting. Unfortunately, we spent about 3/4 of our time actually demonstating many of the product's features. That's going to be a little hard to reproduce in softcopy form.
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X