Rdi not recognizing most recent DB changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rdi not recognizing most recent DB changes

Some times when I am editing a source member I realize I have to make a data base change to, say, maybe add a field to a file the program uses or a change to a DSPF. After I do this and re-create the file, I add some code to the program I am editing to handle the change I just made. Since the change was made after I opened the source member in Rdi, I select SAVE off the FILE menu, then I click the syntax check icon but Rdi doesn't recognize the change I made even though I have saved the source member since I made it. Hence I am getting syntax errors on the new field I added. To recognize the change I made, I have to exit the LPEX and select the source member again in Remote Systems Explorer to open it and all is well.

Anyone know how to gate around having to exit and re-open a source member to recognize a change that was made to a DB file, DSPF or PRTF. This never was a problem in SEU.

Remember that RDI's real-time syntax checker is running on your PC, not on the iSeries. If it was to detect any chances to file dependencies in real time, it would have to redownload them from the iSeries constantly. It doesn't do that.

Instead, it "caches" the definitions of any dependencies - on first access, it downloads their definition to a cache on your PC. I don't know what logic it uses to decide when a cached item expires and must be redownloaded.

When you verify source, you can force it to ignore the cache and redownload all dependency definitions. Click Source -> Verify (Prompt) and then click the Cache option and tick Refresh cache, then Ok. Note that this setting does not stick.

There are several settings pages in Window -> Preferences that deal with the cache, but I'm not sure of all of them or only some of them refer to this type of caching.

Comment

This was a problem from the very beginning of WDSC, RDP, RDI etc.
      I disabled caching and it solved the problem.

In Preferences search for "cache" and select cache in IBM i section that appears.

Regards
      Peder

Comment

If this is RPG code, simply press the refresh icon in the outline panel. This reloads the file definitions.

Comment

Working...
        X