Updating code while debugging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updating code while debugging

Sometimes as I am using the Rdi debugger to step through code, I see a coding change that I want to make. Sometimes the LPEX is locked and won't allow any keystrokes. Other times, I can make the code change on the "fly" and then re-compile the program. In cases where the LPEX will not let me change anything, I have to exit the code and then go back into it again to make the changes. Why does it let me make code changes on the "fly" and other times not. Or how can I update code while debugging without having to exit.

Read-only mode? I can't think of any of time you couldn't edit source. If you don't have source open when you start debug, it'll open the source and it might be in read-only mode. In 9.6, you can now change that without reopening the source member.

Comment

Originally posted by jtaylor___ View Post
      Read-only mode? I can't think of any of time you couldn't edit source. If you don't have source open when you start debug, it'll open the source and it might be in read-only mode. In 9.6, you can now change that without reopening the source member.
      You are exactly right. It just dawned on me. Sometimes, I manually (off the DEBUG menu) key in the program name and library and click OK to create an SEP instead of doing it by right clicking in the code or right clicking in RSE. So, I experimented and, yes, when I do this, the LPEX won't let me change the code. I'm on 9.6, so, can you tell me how to change from read only to update capable without leaving and re-entering the code? I, fairly often key in the SEP manually, especially if I am debugging something where the object is in another library from the source.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by gregwga50 View Post

You are exactly right. It just dawned on me. Sometimes, I manually (off the DEBUG menu) key in the program name and library and click OK to create an SEP instead of doing it by right clicking in the code or right clicking in RSE. So, I experimented and, yes, when I do this, the LPEX won't let me change the code. I'm on 9.6, so, can you tell me how to change from read only to update capable without leaving and re-entering the code? I, fairly often key in the SEP manually, especially if I am debugging something where the object is in another library from the source.

Thanks
        In the bottom bar, about 2/3 the way across is the word "Browse". Double-click on the word and it will switch to be writable. FWIW, you can click in the same location to switch back to read-only.

This works most of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by jtaylor___ View Post

In the bottom bar, about 2/3 the way across is the word "Browse". Double-click on the word and it will switch to be writable. FWIW, you can click in the same location to switch back to read-only.

This works most of the time.
          That doesn't work for me. I found an article by Susan Gantner that discusses this feature and I think I have to have 9.6.0.3 or 9.6.0.4, I have 9.6.0.0. I'll have to figure out how to get the newest one

Comment

I just upgraded to 9.6.0.5 and, yes, this feature works now

Comment

Working...
            X