Create Table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Create Table

Is there a way to create a table with unique members?

Something like...

Exec Sql
    Create Table MyLib/XX_TEST MBR('XX123')
    (Fld1 Char(3)
    Fld2 Numeric(3,0));

AFAIK, SQL does not support the multi-member construct, so you will not be able to create or alter tables that way. It can use an existing multi-member file by first creating an alias for the member, then have SQL reference the member. If you are moving to SQL, you will want to avoid multi-member files. I suppose you could build the file with DDS, then use that method, but is it work it?

Comment

SQL will only support partitioned tables (which are kind of multi member files), but for using it on the i you'll need SMP which is an extra charged feature.
      Question is why do you need multiple member files?
      I'm working now for more than 25 years on the i and its predecessors and had never any need to create multiple member files.
      Even in environments where we worked with different (independent) companies.

Birgitta

Comment

If you want same table name with different definitions, use different schemas (libraries).

Comment

If you have DDS files with multiple members and you're just trying to access individual members you do it using the CREATE ALIAS

CREATE ALIAS MYLIB.XX_TEST_M123 FOR MYLIB/XX_TEST (XX123)
          CREATE ALIAS MYLIB.XX_TEST_M124 FOR MYLIB/XX_TEST (XX124)

Then you use MYLIB/XX_TEST_M123 in your SQL statements (SELECT * FROM MYLIB.XX_TEST_M123 gets data from the first member).

Comment

Working...
          X