Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RUNSQL, Spool Services & CL PGM

Hello, all

I've hit a wall with trying to create and run a cl pgm that uses IBM Spool Services:
    https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledg...utqentries.htm

Sample pgm:

Code:
    0001.00 PGM
    0002.00 RUNSQL SQL('CREATE TABLE MYTESTLIB/SPLFILES AS +
    0003.00 (SELECT SPOOLED_FILE_NAME,JOB_NAME,FILE_NUMBER,CREATE_TIME STAMP,+
    0004.00 USER_NAME,DEVICE_FILE_NAME,FORM_TYPE,USER_DATA +
    0005.00 FROM TABLE(QSYS2/OUTPUT_QUEUE_ENTRIES("MYTESTLIB","MYTESTQ","*NO")) +
    0006.00 ORDER BY SPOOLNAME +
    0007.00 WHERE STATUS = "HELD" +
    0008.00 WITH DATA') +
    0009.00 COMMIT(*NONE)
    0012.00 ENDPGM
    I keep running into errors when I call this pgm:
    Message ID . . . . . . : SQL0199

Keyword BY not expected. Valid tokens: FOR USE SKIP WAIT WITH FETCH LIMIT
    ORDER UNION EXCEPT OFFSET.

My goal is to receive output of spooled files in a 'held' status. After I get the database output I plan on using this for another cl pgm to help me release those held spooled files. Thanks.

Get your 'Select' statement running first by itself to help troubleshoot. Build it in stages. I was able to get this to run on our system:
    PHP Code:
    SELECT SPOOLED_FILE_NAME,JOB_NAME,FILE_NUMBER,CREATE_TIME STAMPUSER_NAME,DEVICE_FILE_NAME,FORM_TYPE,USER_DATA
    FROM TABLE
    (QSYS2.OUTPUT_QUEUE_ENTRIES('QGPL','KOQPGM',' *NO')) as t
    WHERE STATUS 
    'READY'
    ORDER BY SPOOLED_FILE_NAME 
    The changes I made, changed " to ' around the queue, library, *NO parms and added as alias to the table (as t). The 'as t' removed the error you were getting. The WHERE clause must be before the Order By. I changed my where because I didn't have any held.
    Last edited by jamief; December 13, 2018, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott M View Post
      Get your 'Select' statement running first by itself to help troubleshoot. Build it in stages. I was able to get this to run on our system:
      PHP Code:
      SELECT SPOOLED_FILE_NAME,JOB_NAME,FILE_NUMBER,CREATE_TIME STAMPUSER_NAME,DEVICE_FILE_NAME,FORM_TYPE,USER_DATA
      FROM TABLE
      (QSYS2.OUTPUT_QUEUE_ENTRIES('QGPL','KOQPGM',' *NO')) as t
      WHERE STATUS 
      'READY'
      ORDER BY SPOOLED_FILE_NAME 
      The changes I made, changed " to ' around the queue, library, *NO parms and added as alias to the table (as t). The 'as t' removed the error you were getting. The WHERE clause must be before the Order By. I changed my where because I didn't have any held.
      Thanks for the input Scott.

I did finally have luck using 'RUNSQLSTM' using this command:
      Code:
      RUNSQLSTM SRCFILE(MYTEST/MYSPLF) SRCMBR(SPLF) COMMIT(*NONE)
      The SQL statement contents contain this:
      PHP Code:
      CREATE TABLE MYTEST/SPLFILES AS
      (
      SELECT SPOOLED_FILE_NAME,JOB_NAME,FILE_NUMBER
      FROM TABLE
      (QSYS2.OUTPUT_QUEUE_ENTRIES('QUSRSYS','MYOUTQ ','*NO')) A
      WHERE STATUS 
      'HELD')
      WITH DATA 
      This helped create a database file called: MYTEST/SPLFILES

That was really cool, first time getting spool file information like this. Now I'm on to trying to use this in a CL pgm next.
      Last edited by jamief; December 13, 2018, 10:12 AM.

Comment

So next step I wanted to try was creating a CL pgm that declares the database file:

0001.00 PGM
        0002.00 DCLF FILE(MYTEST/SPLFILES) ALWVARLEN(*YES) ALWNULL(*YES)
        0007.00 READ: RCVF
        0008.00 MONMSG MSGID(CPF0864 CPF2204) EXEC(GOTO CMDLBL(END))
        0009.00 RLSSPLF FILE(&SPOOL00001) JOB(&JOB_NAME) SPLNBR(&FILE_00001)
        0011.00 GOTO CMDLBL(READ)
        0012.00 END: ENDPGM
        It compiled successfully, but pgm throws messages:
        Value '█QPWCDSKS' for parameter FILE not a valid name.
        Value '█129890/C' for parameter JOB not a valid name.
        Error found on RLSSPLF command.
        CPF0001 received by RLSSPL2 at 900. (C D I R)
        Job log strangely does include highlighted blocks of text.

It appears as if it reads part of the spool file name & job name information from database file, but not completely. I don't quite understand why. I'm thinking it's because of how the database file was created.

Comment

Value '█QPWCDSKS' for parameter FILE not a valid name.
          If I do an F1 to display additional information I see this message info:

Message ID . . . . . . : CPD0078 Severity . . . . . . . : 30
          Message type . . . . . : Diagnostic
          Date sent . . . . . . : 12/12/18 Time sent . . . . . . : 09:22:22

Message . . . . : Value '█QPWCDSKS' for parameter FILE not a valid name.
          Cause . . . . . : Value '█QPWCDSKS' contains characters that are not valid
          in a name or is a single value that was specified as part of a qualifier. A
          name must begin with an alphabetic character followed by alphanumeric
          characters, or if the value is a string of characters, it must be enclosed
          in quotation marks.
          Recovery . . . : Correct the name or specify the single value alone, then
          try the command again. More information on names can be found in the
          Information Center.

Still troubleshooting.

Comment

How are the columns created in the database file, I suspect they are varchar and those highlighted blocks are actually the length of the varchar value. Off hand I don't know how to handle varchar fields in CL.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott M View Post
              How are the columns created in the database file, I suspect they are varchar and those highlighted blocks are actually the length of the varchar value. Off hand I don't know how to handle varchar fields in CL.
              Good question. Not sure how they're created, will have to research that.

Here's some info about the columns:
              Column Name - System Column - Name Data - Type Description

SPOOLED_FILE_NAME - SPOOLNAME - VARCHAR(10) - The file name that was specified by the user program when the file was created, or the name of the device file used to create this file.

JOB_NAME - JOB_NAME - VARCHAR(28) - The qualified job name that produced the file.

FILE_NUMBER - FILENUM - INTEGER - The spooled file number of the specified file.
              When I compile it's been automatically using these variables - in case they look different than what's on the IBM site:
              Declared Variables
              Name Defined Type Length References
              &FILE_00001 200 *DEC 9 0 700
              &JOB_NAME 200 *CHAR 30 700 900
              &SPOOL00001 200 *CHAR 12 700
              Source: https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledg...utqentries.htm

Comment

I did see this old post, but not sure how to implement it in my cl pgm:

Comment

Maybe something like below, untested. This is just for the one field, test to see if you are getting the proper value for that, then you can do the other one.

Code:
                  DCL VAR(&FILENAME) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(10)
                  DCL VAR(&SPOOL00001) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(12)   /* Might not need this one */
                  DCL VAR(&LENGTH) TYPE(*UINT) LEN(2) STG(*DEFINED) DEFVAR(&SPOOL00001 1)
                  DCL VAR(&TEXT) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(64) STG(*DEFINED) DEFVAR(&SPOOL00001 3)

CHGVAR VAR(&FILENAME) VALUE(%SST(&TEXT 1 &LENGTH))

Comment

Maybe something like below, untested. This is just for the one field, test to see if you are getting the proper value for that, then you can do the other one.

Code:
                    DCL VAR(&FILENAME) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(10)
                    DCL VAR(&SPOOL00001) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(12) /* Might not need this one */
                    DCL VAR(&LENGTH) TYPE(*UINT) LEN(2) STG(*DEFINED) DEFVAR(&SPOOL00001 1)
                    DCL VAR(&TEXT) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(64) STG(*DEFINED) DEFVAR(&SPOOL00001 3)

CHGVAR VAR(&FILENAME) VALUE(%SST(&TEXT 1 &LENGTH))
                    Thanks, Scott.

I added that to the CL pgm, however, it failed to compile. Unless you meant for me to try the 'DCL' statements first, in that case, my apologies. Received this in the job log/report:
                    * CPD086A 30 Declare of &TEXT failed, variable &SPOOL00001 is not large enough.

Comment

Instead of selecting the OUTPUT_QUEUE_ENTRIES columns as-is, you could cast them to char(10). E.g. for column SPOOLED_FILE_NAME:

Code:
                      CREATE TABLE MYTEST/SPLFILES AS
                      (SELECT CAST(SPOOLED_FILE_NAME AS CHAR(10)) AS SPOOLED_FILE_NAME,
                      JOB_NAME,FILE_NUMBER
                      FROM TABLE(QSYS2.OUTPUT_QUEUE_ENTRIES('QUSRSYS','MYOUTQ ','*NO')) A
                      WHERE STATUS = 'HELD')
                      WITH DATA
                      That way the column is a CHAR(10) in MYTEST/SPLFILES instead of VARCHAR(10) and you will be able to read it fine.

Note however that I think your CL program will only compile if MYTEST/SPLFILES already exists (I assume DCLF expects it to already exist so it can validate the field names used later in the program), so your program may not work when first run in a different environment (e.g. you compiled it in test and then copied it to production)

Comment

Originally posted by Vectorspace View Post
                        Instead of selecting the OUTPUT_QUEUE_ENTRIES columns as-is, you could cast them to char(10). E.g. for column SPOOLED_FILE_NAME:

Code:
                        (SELECT CAST(SPOOLED_FILE_NAME AS CHAR(10)) AS SPOOLED_FILE_NAME,
                        JOB_NAME,FILE_NUMBER
                        WHERE STATUS = 'HELD')
                        WITH DATA
                        That way the column is a CHAR(10) in MYTEST/SPLFILES instead of VARCHAR(10) and you will be able to read it fine.

Note however that I think your CL program will only compile if MYTEST/SPLFILES already exists (I assume DCLF expects it to already exist so it can validate the field names used later in the program), so your program may not work when first run in a different environment (e.g. you compiled it in test and then copied it to production)

Thanks for the response!

Would the same apply for "JOB_NAME" as well? I've tried something like this, but pgm still failed to read job name.
                        Code:
                        CAST(JOB_NAME AS CHAR(28)) AS JOB_NAME

Comment

It should work for all varchar fields.
                          How are you handling the catch 22 of the table must exist for the cl with its DCL-F to compile, but the Con is expecting to create the file? I would think you would need to delete the file, run the SQL manually to create the file, then compile the CL

Comment

Originally posted by LiQuiD_FuSioN View Post
                            Would the same apply for "JOB_NAME" as well? I've tried something like this, but pgm still failed to read job name.
                            Code:
                            CAST(JOB_NAME AS CHAR(28)) AS JOB_NAME
                            The same would apply to job name, however you also have to split the combined job name (JOB_NAME) into its component parts of job name, user, and job number, so the RLSSPLF command would be:
                            Code:
                            RLSSPLF FILE([I]file_name[/I]) JOB(&NUMBER/&USER/&JOB) SPLNBR([I]spool_file_number[/I])
                            Also, I would have the SQL use field names that are less than 10 characters so the field names don't end up with the numbers on the end of it:
                            Code:
                            (SELECT CAST(SPOOLED_FILE_NAME AS CHAR(10)) AS FILE_NAME,
                             CAST(JOB_NAME AS CHAR(26)) AS JOB_NAME, FILE_NUMBER AS FILE_NUM
                            WHERE STATUS = 'HELD') WITH DATA

Comment

Originally posted by Vectorspace View Post
                              It should work for all varchar fields.
                              How are you handling the catch 22 of the table must exist for the cl with its DCL-F to compile, but the Con is expecting to create the file? I would think you would need to delete the file, run the SQL manually to create the file, then compile the CL
                              Okay, let me try again and let you know.

On another note, going back to original SQL, do you think I could utilize 'CREATE_TIMESTAMP' in SQL statement to return spool file records older than 1 day?

I've tried running a few tests with this:
                              Code:
                              (SELECT SPOOLED_FILE_NAME,JOB_NAME,FILE_NUMBER,CREATE_TIMESTAMP     
                              FROM TABLE(QSYS2.OUTPUT_QUEUE_ENTRIES('QUSRSYS','MYOUTQ','*NO')) A
                              WHERE STATUS = 'HELD'                                               
                              AND CREATE_TIMESTAMP > DATEADD(DD,-1,current_timestamp))            
                              WITH DATA
                              But I get the message, 'Column or global variable DD not found.'

Something like this worked though:
                              Code:
                              AND CREATE_TIMESTAMP>='2016-01-01')

Comment

Working...
                              X