How to simulate multi dimension arrays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to simulate multi dimension arrays

I am charged with modifying a program that has 15 locns ('01', '02'.......'15'). The program already has an array to store the locns in. The array contain 15 elements of 2 characters each. Now I have to create an array of 100 tags for each locn. In theory, anyway, each element of the locn array will contain and it's own array of 100 elements containing a tag# for that locn. Sounds like a case for a multi dimensional array if RPGLE supported it. Outside of using a MODS with each occurrence containing an array of tags, what would be the best way to set this up

This example is pretty easy.

Code:
           Dcl-DS Locations dim(15) qualified;
             locn    char(2);
             tags    char(10) dim(100);
           End-Ds;
    This gives an array - Locations. It contains a 2 character locn and tags which is a 100 element array. The data structure itself is an array of 15 elements.

locations.locn(1) is the first locn - location.locn(15) would be the last. locations.tags(1,50) would be the 50th tag in the first location. Locations.tags(15,100) would be the 100th tag of the 15th location.

Comment

Sounds like you haven't been keeping up-to-date on your RPG features. Multi-dimensional arrays have been available for OVER 16 YEARS! They came in with V5R2.

Sounds like you need something like this:

Code:
             dcl-ds locations dim(15) Qualified;
                location  char(2);
                dcl-ds  tags  dim(100);
                  tag  char(10);  // or however it is defined
                end-Ds;
             end-Ds;

Comment

I believe I have the nomenclature wrong...

locations(1).locn is the first locn - locations(15).locn would be the 15th. locations(1).tags(1) would be the first tag for the first locn - locations(1).tags(100) would be the 100th of the first locn, etc.

Comment

And as always - I tend to make it much more difficult than necessary first go around...

Code:
                 dcl-ds locations dim(15) qualified;
                   locn char(2);
                   tag  char(10) dim(100);
                 End-Ds locations;
          locations(1).locn is first locn of 15. locations(1).tag(1) is the first tag in the first location.

Comment

Thanks for responding.

Comment

Code:

dcl-ds locations dim(15) qualified;          locn char(2);          tag  char(10) dim(100);        End-Ds locations;
              So, if I want to zero out all the elements in the tag array for each element in locations array without blanking out the locn subfield in locations, is there a way to do it without having to loop throughlocations and doing a CLEAR tag or is a FOR loop the only option?

Comment

Originally posted by gregwga50 View Post
                Code:
                dcl-ds locations dim(15) qualified;
                locn char(2);
                tag char(10) dim(100);
                End-Ds locations;
                So, if I want to zero out all the elements in the tag array for each element in locations array without blanking out the locn subfield in locations, is there a way to do it without having to loop throughlocations and doing a CLEAR tag or is a FOR loop the only option?
                Sorry about the CODE block, I would edit it if I could
                Last edited by mjhaston; July 16, 2019, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Super weird. Why was I able to edit your post? Or am I the only one who sees that?

I'm going to go back and edit a bunch of Jamie's posts and make him sound strange!
                  Your friends list is empty!

Comment

Originally posted by mjhaston View Post
                    Super weird. Why was I able to edit your post? Or am I the only one who sees that?
                    I don't have the ability to modify a post, even my own, that I know of. I've asked about this before but have never got an answer

Comment

I see your post like this. I find it completely odd that I can edit someone else's post. Do you see the code portion of your post with line breaks that it didn't have before?

Your friends list is empty!

Comment

Originally posted by mjhaston View Post
                        I see your post like this. I find it completely odd that I can edit someone else's post. Do you see the code portion of your post with line breaks that it didn't have before?
                        Yes, I do now...thanks. I still can't update my own posts, though. Not sure why, I've been on this board for a while now. I've seen some other poster complaining about not being able to update/delete a post of their own

Comment

Unfortunately it is not allowed to code like this
                          Code:
                          locations(*).tag(*) = '';
                          so the best way to do it is a loop
                          Code:
                          for x = 1 to %elem(locations);
                            locations(x).tag(*) = '';
                          endfor;
                          Regards
                          Peder

Comment