Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perfomance of different subfile types

Hi All,

Which subfile perform better? Load all, single page or Self expanding? Why do we want these 3 types? Is there any scenario where we can use a particular type alone? Can anyone give an example for Self expanding subfile?

Regards
    Nisha

Re: Perfomance of different subfile types

I guess that would depend heavily on how much data you are displaying and
    the age and speed of your current box.

load all and page at a time are pretty much what they say.

load all --- read all records in a loop & write them to a subfile.

page at a time --- subfile size and page the same size need to clear subfile prior to each page down or page up.

self extending --- (i'll let a much better communicator handle this)

Self-Extending Subfiles

The self-extending subfile works the same as a load-all subfile, in that you still cannot load more than 9999 records. But it differs in other ways. A self-extending subfile allows users to add records to the subfile only when they are needed. Normally this is done one page at a time, but it doesn't have to be. One advantage the self-extending subfile has over its load-all counterpart is that subfile performance will be more consistent. By loading only a specified amount each time, your subfile is more likely to perform to expected results. A load-all subfile may load 50 records one time and 500 records the next, depending on your data. Another advantage is that, by using a self-extending subfile and a position-to technique, I can make the navigation within the subfile more flexible.

http://www.itjungle.com/mpo/mpo052203-story04.html

look here for both page at a time and load all examples
    Attached Files
    All my answers were extracted from the "Big Dummy's Guide to the As400"
    and I take no responsibility for any of them.

www.code400.com

Comment

Re: Perfomance of different subfile types

I always use page at a time with a few search field at the top.
      Say its a store maintenance program. They hit the key to search (subfile display). I don't see the point in having the user wait while 1500+ records load. Just one page, search, then the results.

I have seen many load all that you can have a whole pepsi before its done.
      Hunting down the future ms. Ex DeadManWalks. *certain restrictions apply

Comment

Working...
      X