Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BRMS and Tape Management

Hi,

We have BRMS for Backup Management and IBM System Storage TS3310 Tape Library for tape management.I have few questions regarding these 2technologies:

1.Under normal circumstances the tape configuration is as follows:

Description Status
    TAPMLB03 VARIED ON
    TAP03 VARIED OFF

When I have to take the backup or restore,do I have to vary on TAP03 and vary off TAPMLB03?

Also how do I check if the correct tape is loaded in the tape drive?
    Do I run the command DSPTAP DEV(TAPMLB03) VOL(EA01298D) or
    DSPTAP DEV(TAP03) VOL(EA01298D) ?

While doing the restore or taking the backup,what is the device name which I have to give.....TAP03 or TAPMLB03

2.Regarding IBM System Storage TS3310 Tape Library how do I move the data cartridge from one Logical Library to another logical library.I actually want to know how to decide to which location in the target logical library the tape is to be moved.?

Please advice

Re: BRMS and Tape Management

If you are using BRMS then you need to read up on media policies, using (for example) SAVLIBBRM you can choose to use MEDPCY(PolicyName) DEV(*MEDCLS). This will tell BRMS to check the media policy "PolicyName" which you have defined earlier, this policy will tell BRMS the retention period for the tapes, which set of tapes to use and all that fun stuff. By selecting device *MEDCLS (Media Class) it tells BRMS to use any tape from the media class associated with the media policy.

It's not much use explaining the whole detailed setup in one post. You will need to read up on the BRMS manuals from IBM and slowly setup a few tests etc and get into the swing of it.

There are movement policies that describe what to do with a tape after it is used, the media policy, movement policy, media classes etc are all connected through BRMS.

I haven't used an IBM library, with our 3rd party one the interface software will translate the BRMS requests and it handles the vary on/off by itself.

Try CHKTAP TAP03 to see what tape is loaded.
    Greg Craill: "Life's hard - Get a helmet !!"

Comment

I'm currently in the middle of trying to decide which process is best for backup and recover. We upgraded to a new system with V6R1 several months ago and we have a disaster recovery box is the form of our older as400. I realize you are still setting this up but I'm interested in opinions of which method is better from everone out there. Should I activate the BRMS programs or stay with the option 21 from the save menu?
      Stand up for what you beleive in ...... even if you are standing alone

Comment

Hi Emily,
        In my Opinion you could go with BRMS since it is easier to do for backup and restore. This is how, after you perform the backup using BRMS, run the BRMS maintenance, then it will give you the step by step on performing restore on your old AS400 (come with the step by step and Command line too)
        Answer to your first question above
        1. Normal Condition should be
        Description Status
        TAPMLB03 VARIED ON
        TAP03 VARIED OFF
        -- But in WRKMLBSTS
        Device/ Job
        Resource Status Allocation name
        TAPMLB03 VARIED ON
        TAP06 OPERATIONAL UNPROTECTED

-- Just make sure that on the MLBSTS the status is the same as above
        -- You could check the if the right tape is being loaded or not through your Web (ADMIN TS3310)
        -- If you want backup the one you say is TAPMLB03
        2. Use the Web (ADMIN TS3310) to do that.
        Hope it helps

Br,
        Union123

Comment

1 -- No, you do not have to vary off TAPMLB03 to do the backup and restore. That is your LINK to TAP03 from BRMS. If you want to do independent work with the TAP03 (outside of BRMS) then you would Vary off TAPMLB03 and vary on TAP03.

2 -- To check the tape within BRMS, use the command WRKMLMBRM MLB(TAPMLB03)

Comment

I had a difficult time like the OP making the jump from "old fashioned" save/restore to BRMS. We finally had a consultant set it up for us during our latest hardware upgrade.

I had to restore a library yesterday and wasn't sure how to do it via BRMS, so I cheated and put the tape in the stand alone drive in the CEC and used RSTLIB.

Comment

Hahaha... No need no need...
              To restore you just need to go to WRKOBJBRM or WRKLIBBRM, specify the library or object that you want to restore, and then select the object you want to restore, then press enter once.. , then press F9 to change parm like where you want to restore.... then press enter again
              Just sit and wait until the restore process is done.
              Simple as that

Comment

I normally go F14 as well so I can submit it to batch ...

And I think it's WRKMEDIBRM not WRKLIBBRM ?
                Greg Craill: "Life's hard - Get a helmet !!"

Comment

Working...
                X