Windows 10 and IBM i Access for Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10 and IBM i Access for Windows

Anyone have the pleasure of troubleshooting an install that hangs or doesn't respond? This happened with a test AMD Ryzen PC. Intel-based PCs seem to work fine. Hoping to get off the old IBM client and move to ACS soon. (Java, ehhh)

Make sure that you copy the installation files onto your system - don't install over the network. Some anti-virus's choke too, turn off the anti-virus during the install, but my experience is a network install tends to be horrible.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky View Post
      Make sure that you copy the installation files onto your system - don't install over the network. Some anti-virus's choke too, turn off the anti-virus during the install, but my experience is a network install tends to be horrible.
      Oh yeah, definitely installing locally. I'm able to proceed through the setup steps as normal. Green progress bar reaches close to the end and just stays there. Event Viewer logs indicate a successful install, but setup window lingers on. 'Windows installer' is seen in Task Manager taking up CPU. I end up having to end the process. When I go to open a 5250 session (*.pcsws) and try to sign on, the grey sign on box stays trying to connect forever too.

The setup logs set to verbose also really don't point to any particular error or obvious message. Both the logs of a successful install on one PC with the logs of failed installed on the other both look the same to me.

From what I've seen on the web it could be the proc, could be a chipset issue or display driver interfering somehow. I'm moving away from this model of computer now but just seeing if anyone else has come across this weird issue.

Comment

DId you try disabling your anti-virus during the install?

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky View Post
          DId you try disabling your anti-virus during the install?
          No third party AV, disabled Windows Defender as well and some of the security features.

Comment

Maybe this is part of why IBM no longer supports IBM i Access?

You mentioned using ACS in the future. What is stopping you from using that right now? It takes a few minutes to download and configure, and then you're all set... really easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Klement View Post
              Maybe this is part of why IBM no longer supports IBM i Access?

You mentioned using ACS in the future. What is stopping you from using that right now? It takes a few minutes to download and configure, and then you're all set... really easy.
              Well, yes, Scott. I plan to but have other things to consider.

This thread isn?t so much of a search for a solution but to show others what you may face really.

Comment

Working...
              X