FTP subcommand SIZE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTP subcommand SIZE

We have two Power systems. We FTP from #2 (vendor) to #1 (our system) on an irregular basis. Recently we replaced the Cisco ASA firewall with a Sophos firewall. The systems do communicate, but when we try to run the FTP, we get "500 Subcommand SIZE invalid". We are not even using this subcommand. This just started after the firewall was installed, but I con't find how it might be related. It seems to fail after the GET FILE FILE (REPLAC command. Any ideas while I wait to get the entire script?

SIZE is sometimes sent to find out how big a file is in advance of downloading it. This can be used for things like progress graphs, etc. FTP servers are not required to implement SIZE, it is an optional feature of FTP, so the standards do not require that every server supports it.

It sounds like your firewall (probably the Sophos) is downloading the files for you and then passing them on to your client after downloading them. I'm guess its the Sophos one, because it makes sense that Sophos would want to do virus and malware scanning before letting you have the file. Apparently, that tool is requiring the SIZE command (unless it still works, despite this error? It's not unnusual to see an error like this that is ignored and things still work -- but I'm assuming you wouldn't post it here in that case).

You should be discussing this with Sophos or whomever supports this tool.

Comment

Thanks. I was thinking it must be on the server end because we do get connected. But that makes a lot of sense. I will follow up with Sophos.

Comment

Working...
      X