Recovering the LIC and OS from V7R2 back to V6R1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recovering the LIC and OS from V7R2 back to V6R1

We recently upgraded our TEST system LPAR from V6R1 to V7R2. Prior to performing this upgrade, one of the pre-requisites was to increase the size of the LIC area on disk to accomodate the increased code size at level V7R2.

Unfortunately, we are now forced to roll back to V6R1 because a key portion of our ERP package will not work at V7R2. Please don't ask why management dropped the support for our ERP package a couple years ago...or I may have to launch into a tirade of cursing...lol

At this point, using a V6R1 SAVSYS tape prior to the upgrade, we are planning to (a) Recover the Licensed Intgernal Code followed by (b) a Restore of the Operating System.

Has anyone had experience doing a LIC/OS restore from a SAVSYS tape? We have an HMC that conrols poth the Production and Test LPAR's so we're hoping that once we setup the IPL device correctly, we should be able to (semi-painfully) re-install the LIC and the OS back to V6R1...

Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated.

If the tape was created as a SAVSYS/NONSYS (Full system save) you should be able to IPL from that tape. Once you get IPL'd and logged in the system console you should be able to GO RESTORE and take option 21.

Comment

After 2.5 days we are at least half way thru a full tape restore.

Because we went backwards on the OS level, this necessitated reallocation of disk units, reformatting, etc. in order to get the LIC code back onto the disk and then a full install of V6R1

We were grateful that we still had IBM support because they got us through the necessary HMC configuration changes so that we could access the fibre-attached 3580 tape drives as IPL devices. We struggled for a few hours trying to make it work and had to call IBM to bail us out.

Needless to say, it's been a hectic couple of days. We are VERY happy this wasn't a "production" restoration scenario!

I can't wait to get home and open a bottle tonight...LOL

Comment

I wouldn't have thought it would be that involved. I've only been around one time when shop had to go back a release - that was many many moons ago... namely from V1R2 to V1R0 days... yup we're talking 1989... and I wasn't involved with that one.. I've had to do a full restore but that was on current release.

I'm curious that you had to go through that mess.. like why would they care if you had a larger space for the LIC? OH well, glad you're making progress!

Comment

Working...
        X