Problems with ssh 'ing to IBM i using 10 character Userid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with ssh 'ing to IBM i using 10 character Userid

I would like to preface my problem by stating my userid on our IBM i is 10 characters and my password is longer than 8 characters (I think 1 if not both of these is the problem).

I attempt to log into the IBM i using ssh (using Git Bash) with the following command (added logging option):

ssh -vT server.ip.address

When I enter the correct password, I continue to get "Permission denied". After working with someone who can connect via ssh, they suggested my userid may be too long. So I created a profile with 8 characters and I was able to log in just fine.

What configuration file (path included) do I need to update to allow 10 character userid's?

This deals with user names but you might find some related help here: https://www-01.ibm.com/support/docvi...d=nas8N1011847

I recently asked the same question of an IBMer and was told the 8 character limit was still in place but a google search indicates that for AIX (which is what PASE effectively is) there are ways to increase the length.

My best suggestions is to raise the question with IBM support.

Comment

FWIW, I still follow the old recommendation of no user profiles longer than 8.

Comment

Jon's link tells you exactly how to allow userids longer than 8 characters. All you have to do is set the PASE_USRGRP_LIMITED variable, just like it describes.

I've been doing this for many years now, it works great.

Comment

Thanks JonBoy and Scott.

Comment

Working...
          X