No announcement yet.

SSH key pairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found this document from IBM that seems to indicate that an SSH connection is not possible with exchanging keys.
    If that is true then what is the point of having a password script? Unless this method would be considered a batch only option?

Comment

I'm guessing this is an older document? This was IBM's original attitude, before I showed that it could be done with Expect. The other link you posted is a new-ish feature. It'd be my guess that it supercede's this.

Comment

• tdavis
        tdavis commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for that input. We have a call with IBM next week to help us out, so that is a good point to have confirmed. Thanks!

Hi. Did you resolve this? I have to do a similar implementation and I'm dreading it, as it's terra incognita for me.

I was thinking, like you, to start between two entities on one machine that I have full access to - the other party is not unhelpful, but is busy and I was hoping to be able to potter around at my own pace and cut down on interminable back-and-forth emails. However it sounds like you may have run into problems with doing it that way.

Comment

William, We talked to someone at IBM and they stated that they, the IBMi, could not do passwordless SSH. The vendor we were working with wanted us to exchange keys AND use a password for our batch process. So we told them we could not do that and we decided that we could do FTPS. So now I am doing straight FTP, but with PORT(*SECURE) which is very easy. My FTP scripting does not change. I don't have to worry about SSH at all. I know that Scott mentioned expect scripting, and I looked into that, but that is not native on IBMi and some of the folks at this company objected.

Comment

OK, thanks for letting me know.

Comment

Hello guys,.. I have several SFTP/SSH connection between my iSeries and other Unix servers and send data with a program developed by me using the SSH implementation from my iSeries.
            My question is if it is possible to maximizing the bandwidth or to control in some how the speed of the transfers?

The command which is done by my program using QSH is this:
            sftp -vvv -b /home/my_sftp_script RMT_USR@rmtserver.us.com > /home/output.txt 2>&1 (.. i have tests values here)
            .. I have all the necessary setup, generation of the script, setup for the accounts which does the authentication based on keys and all the stuff, basically I transfer with success which is the good point and the transfer is fast but for the future only I need to know if I can increase the speed if I put something in my command, some parameters.
            I think if the traffic under ssh port increase it may affect the speed..

thanks in advance

Comment

My question is if it is possible to maximizing the bandwidth or to control in some how the speed of the transfers?
              SSH/SFTP always runs the fastest that it can, so there's no option to tell it to speed itself up.

However, you may be able to improve performance by:

1) Compressing the file(s)
              2) Fine tuning the settings on your system's network adapters, network switches, routers, etc.
              3) Updating the network/internet connection

These are broad concepts, not specific things. The best way to approach them is to have someone with expertise in network configuration look over all of your network devices and make sure they are set up optimally. Since it requires in-depth knowledge of your network, there isn't much we can do to help with them.

Comment

Thanks Scott.. it's all I need, so, basically it can be improved but as a general rule the transfer using ssh/sftp protocol is the better option, I want only to go deep in those specific network configuration, at least those that hold on iSeries, how it works, what are my insturments of control and all what can I do to have the power on what goes out and in what way, with what speed

Comment

Working...
                X