ibmi-brunch-learn

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Symbolic Links on the IFS, Traversable via Windows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Symbolic Links on the IFS, Traversable via Windows?

Hello, I am wondering if symbolic links (or some equivalent) are traversable via Windows on the IFS.

I'm on an AS/400 using PHP for my sites.

I currently have a folder structure similar to this:
    • WEBSITE_1
      • CLASSES
    • WEBSITE_2
      • CLASSES
    • WEBSITE_3
      • CLASSES
    • CLASSES

The "/CLASSES" folder contains classes which are used by multiple sites. Is it possible to setup a symbolic link which points "/WEBSITE_X/CLASSES" to "/CLASSES" in such a way that when performing a search on a single website ("/WEBSITE_X") the "/CLASSES" directory is included seamlessly as if it were "/WEBSITE_X/CLASSES"?

I know I can utilize Apache Aliases so I can include the files as described during execution of the scripts, but I'm looking for a way which would give me similar functionality outside of run time. In particular so I can search for strings in a single location without needing to search in both "/WEBSITE_X" AND "/CLASSES"

Re: Symbolic Links on the IFS, Traversable via Windows?

How are you accessing these symbolic links? You refer to web sites, does that mean you're accessing them via HTTP? Or are you using something like FTP or SMB to access them?

You refer to "run time"... to me, this term means when the application is running. But, not sure what the alternative is? (Access when the application is not running? Why would that be different, you aren't using the application to access things are you?)

Comment

Re: Symbolic Links on the IFS, Traversable via Windows?

I managed to achieve what I needed with the ADDLNK command. For each site I wanted to look in a directory within site root, but have the files actually reside above root so there was only 1 copy (I didn't want to maintain 3). I also wanted the ability if I was using a mapped drive I would see the contents of '/classes' in each websites specific directory (IE: /website_1/classes). I figured it out but hopefully this helps someone else.

Comment

Working...
      X