Web Applications/Rest services/ILE Playground

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Web Applications/Rest services/ILE Playground

Excuse me, my question is very generic - to gather suggestions on current practices on IBM i. I have two queries - WEB applications or External Products? and What is your ILE playground?

I need suggestion on better way to expose data from IBM i and inputs on what is trending now. I had experience in developing web applications in school, but it's been years - so what is the best way to quickly develop a web application and expose IBM i data now.

if web application is not a good idea, do we have any other tools which we can quickly use. Or simply, it is best to expose the data to some existing product?

Also, about the online code editors - the have UI/Consoles where we can quickly run a scripts and do some calculations. Connect to a SQL database and develop a full web application. So, if you have to play with IBM i - what is your playground - how do you try new scripts and interfaces?

The only possible answer really is "it depends".

Do you want to build web pages? Put a web interface on existing RPG green screens? Or just surface data for consumption by other tools/people?

Many folks these days are exposing their data via web services. But that just begs the question of how to supply those. You could use node.js (which is gaining in popularity) and SQL and/or calling RPG programs to deliver the data. You could write RPG and use the Integrated Web Services Server (IWS) to deliver them. Or you could write in raw RPG in conjunction with Apache, or ...

PHP (popular on the box for many years now) or Python (a more recent addition) can both be used to good effect.

I use RPG, SQL, PHP, Python, and am starting Node.js. Depends on the job as to which I use.

So - what are your current skills? - What are you trying to do and why?

Comment

• JonBoy
      JonBoy commented
      Editing a comment
      P.S. I haven't even mentioned the many third party commercial tools that play in this arena.
Working...
X