sponsored links

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing OS/400

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Installing OS/400

    Hi,

    A while ago, I asked help extracting data from as400. I've managed to extract 90% of the data, but some records seems to be corrupted. A drive had failed, so I repaired DPY, but of course it did not repair the corrputed data. So we bought a while ago, as a backup unit, an AS400, same model as the one we have. (type 9402). Problem is, it does not boot. It stops on SRC B1954502. I tried some (risky) manipulations, and now it's going 918BB981. I tried to look online for these SRC but there is no clear indications on what those mean.

    I had full system save of my 1st AS400on a QIC2gb, tried to do a manual IPL type D on it (since it seems that's the way to boot on an external device) but nothing happens. I have V3r2m0 CD (My 1st unit is v3r7m0), tried to boot on them too, still nothing. Problem is that nothing come on the screen of my dumb terminal (Display Module 2677m)

    I think the link works between those 2 because when I do IPL, and I look at the Twinax Monitor Mode of my 2677m, I see

    Code:
     0    1     2      3      4     5     6   
    00002 00001 00001 00001 00001 00001 00001
    So it seems that the terminal receive data.

    I have backups, but since my other as400 is "working" right now and we can use it to look at some info (that did not follow through ODBC), I'm not feeling safe restoring a backup. So that's why I would love to find a way to make my 2nd one work...

    My plan is to install a fresh copy on the 2nd unit, and let it alive for consultation purpose.

    The CD I have are:

    - IBM Cumulative PTF Package
    - Licensed programs for SSP
    - Licensed internal codes - RSD
    - Operating System/400
    - Licensed Program Products
    All for AS/400(R)_ADVANCED_SERIES_V3 Product number 5755-AS4 release 070000

    I found someone who did work with AS400 around me, but I felt scammed when I received an hour rate bill for asking for a quote, So I'm not feeling confident working with them.

    Thank you very much.

  • #2
    Best people I know who handle this kind of stuff hang out mostly on Midrange.com - guys like Larry Bolhuis, Jim Oberholzer, and Mark Waterbury to name just three. There may be folks here who can help but you'll find a lot more over there. Check out Frankeni.com if you just want to contact Larry directly.

    Comment


    • #3
      If you have one system running V3R7m0 and one with V3R2M0 - and if you're trying to reinstall the OS/400 V3R2m0 with the one currently running V3R7m0 - that won't work. V3R2M0 is the CISC technology (48 bit CPU), V3R7M0 was for RISC technology (64 bit CPU). RISC system will not handle V3R2M0, which would explain why your system isn't doing anything.

      Comment


      • #4
        Also you are trying to install software that's 23 years old and reached end of support 19 years ago. Is it really worth the effort to get this running?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by JonBoy View Post
          Best people I know who handle this kind of stuff hang out mostly on Midrange.com - guys like Larry Bolhuis, Jim Oberholzer, and Mark Waterbury to name just three. There may be folks here who can help but you'll find a lot more over there. Check out Frankeni.com if you just want to contact Larry directly.
          Yes, thank you! I was out of office and could not answer back, but I've been talking with Larry and he's being quite helpful right now.

          Originally posted by Rocky View Post
          If you have one system running V3R7m0 and one with V3R2M0 - and if you're trying to reinstall the OS/400 V3R2m0 with the one currently running V3R7m0 - that won't work. V3R2M0 is the CISC technology (48 bit CPU), V3R7M0 was for RISC technology (64 bit CPU). RISC system will not handle V3R2M0, which would explain why your system isn't doing anything.
          Yes, that's unfortunately what I learned. So this 2nd unit have been bought for... Nothing.. I wish they had looked that up before purchasing an old unit...

          Originally posted by Scott Klement View Post
          Also you are trying to install software that's 23 years old and reached end of support 19 years ago. Is it really worth the effort to get this running?
          Short answer is yes. But I may try to get my tapes hosted off site. The data in it is quite important..

          Thank you all for your time!

          Comment


          • Rocky
            Rocky commented
            Editing a comment
            If all you need is access to the data - it's very likely you just have to restore your user libraries on the V3R7M0 machine.

          • Pudubat
            Pudubat commented
            Editing a comment
            I really want to. But my only fear is that it fail on restoring i.e the data on the tape I have is corrupted or whatever, then I will lose what's currently working. And I'm not even able to perform a save, it always return an error. Tried to save the library only, it seemed like something happened but the tape is unreadable after the save.. I'll try again. If I manage to get a save and can confirm it works, I will try to restore from the tape I already have.

          • JonBoy
            JonBoy commented
            Editing a comment
            "I really want to. But my only fear is that it fail on restoring i.e the data on the tape I have is corrupted or whatever," Have it restored to another system. Get Larry Bolhuis or someone to do it for you. Finding compatible tape drives will be your biggest issue - but the data should restore to the latest release without issues.
        Working...
        X