Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie programming OS400

Hello everyone,

I'm try to find a easy way for me to programming in AS400 without using "SEU".
    I'm experience in vb.net and C. Right now I'm installing the websphere to see if it more user friendly.
    I want create a program that receive from user "number order" and "data" and use that information to run a sql command to update a table. What language is better to do something like this?

There is any others free tools to work with Iseries?

Thanks and now I will be a present member of this forum

You're asking an impossible question in many ways, Starting with the fact that there have been no "AS/400s" for over 18 years. The current system (sadly sometimes still referred to as AS/400, or iSeries, or System i) is IBM i running on Power. Secondly there is no such editor as "the websphere" - only one I can think of that included the Websphere name was WDSC which was replaced by Rational Developer many, many, many years ago. Those editors are IBM products and are not free - although they have a 120 day free trial.

Secondly, I can't really make a good editor recommendation without knowing what language you plan to use.

The most common language on IBM i is RPG - and it can interact with green screens, browsers, web services, etc. You can imbed SQL in it as you can with most IBM i languages.

You say you speak C and that can also be used with embedded SQL.

Mono has recently been ported to the platform so your .net skills might also be usable.

On to editors. Probably the one that would feel most familiar to you is ILEditor (https://worksofbarry.com/ileditor/) which is free - but is RPG oriented - almost certainly doesn't support C. Another is miWorkplace (https://miworkplace.com/) which is very low cost and offers a free trial. Again not sure if it does C.

Orion is available on IBM i - but may not be installed on the system you use - you'd have to ask.

Many people just use their favorite editor for example Notepad++. In addition to IBM's RDi I also use BBEdit, Zend Studio, PyCharm and Netbeans for my PHP, Python, HTML, etc. coding.

There is another editor besides SEU on the box, but it is less functional than SEU so probably not what you need, but since you didn't say _why_ SEU is not an option I can't tell if those would be of interest.

If you can be a bit clearer about your wants/needs we can help more.

Comment

• danielpveiga
      danielpveiga commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you very much. WIth your answer I searched a lot on web and find good articles. I installed Rational Developer and ILEDITOR and i'm exploring both. I'm also confortable with notepad++ and will use to code and then compile on IBM i. Thanks

What OS version are you running? Just to be clear, by "C" you mean C not C#, correct?

Comment

• danielpveiga
      danielpveiga commented
      Editing a comment
      Version V7R3 - Correct.

Great. Being on 7.3 means you're current so that won't limit your options. I had to ask about C/C# because our .NET people seem to use the two interchangeably to mean C#.

Comment

Working...
    X