Too much input for one screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too much input for one screen

I've been tasked with modifying a display file that is already jammed with input. Basically I have an asset with a ton of attributes (not a subfile). I've added the appropriate fields to the data file, but when working on the display file, I just don't have enough room. I think the best approach is to modify the RPG program to capture the Page Up/Down keystrokes (almost like the prompting for a command with additional options); along with creating a variable to keep track of the active page. On Page Up/Down, the data would be saved in a temporary data structure. Then when the user presses F12 (our Save Record key) it would actually save the record to the data file.

Still being somewhat new to RPG, I can't help to think there is a better way. I've searched for topics like Panels, Scroll bars, etc.; hoping there was a built-in tool or library that might help solve this. However, I have been unable to find anything. If someone might be able to point me in a direction (search term or feature) or confirm my approach, I would greatly appreciate it.

-JA-

Only thing I can think of as an alternative would be to use multiple pop-up windows on top of the base display to capture the additional information. If the new stuff is isolated to a tak area (ad not just extra fields for multiple bits and pieces) that might make more logical sense for the users.

There are other approaches - use DSM for example and build the whole screen dynamically. Or use UIM panels which would be the closets to commands. But both of these would require significant re-work to what you already have as they ar completely different screen I/O methods.

Of course the best approach would be to give up the old green screen and use a tabbed browser screen but that has a whole bunch of other ramifications.

Comment

If the display file is 24x80, you could change it to 27x132 to give you more room. Otherwise, if you want to go to a second screen of input data (as opposed to a pop up window as Jon suggested), then the next simplest solution would be to create a second record format and toggle between showing them using Page Up/Down. There is no need to create a temporary data structure to save data as the record formats will contain the data that was keyed as long as you do not use the same field names on both record formats or clear the record formats.

Comment

You could also add a Page 2. No need for a temporary data structure.
        Regards

Kit
        http://www.ecofitonline.com
        DeskfIT - ChangefIT - XrefIT

Comment

Working...
        X