ILE Devlopment kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ILE Devlopment kit?

Hi Guys, Got a quick question for anyone who can answer it.

As a fairly new/young developer, i am used to using the likes of Visual studio, and other development studios to program/develop in.

Rather than using the emulator software to use the SEU utilities does anyone know of a development studio that can be used for RPLGE/RPG/DDS? maybe an alternative to the old (But gold) editors?

cheers al

Look for the RDi development package by IBM. Its expensive but if your an RPG developer its probably worth it.

It runs on your PC and can be a dog if your company is running anti-malware, virsus scanners, etc. so be careful
    and make sure you have a bunch of RAM available.

Comment

Here's an alternative to RDi. I've never tried it, but I've heard good things.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Wincheste View Post
        Look for the RDi development package by IBM. Its expensive but if your an RPG developer its probably worth it.

It runs on your PC and can be a dog if your company is running anti-malware, virsus scanners, etc. so be careful
        To add to Terry's comment. RDi is THE tool and includes a graphic designer for screens and reports. It is available on a 120 day free trial so you have plenty of time to convince your management that they should pay for it.

Couple of other points to keep in mind. Using SEU will result in errors showing up in the editor if you attempt to use any RPG feature added in the last eight years as SEU is frozen at V6. You can of course turn syntax checking off but then you might as well use Notepad!

In addition to Liam's ILEditor there is also MiWorkplace (https://miworkplace.com/) which is not free but very low cost. There is a free trial for (I think) 30 days.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Wincheste View Post

It's never caused a problem with our anti-virus (Sophos) - back in the day when it did just had to turn it off while installing it and all is well.

It does like RAM because it is Eclipse and as such is 100% Java. Java likes memory - kinda like the cookie monster likes cookies.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky View Post

It's never caused a problem with our anti-virus (Sophos) - back in the day when it did just had to turn it off while installing it and all is well.

It does like RAM because it is Eclipse and as such is 100% Java. Java likes memory - kinda like the cookie monster likes cookies.
            The only time I have ever seen it impacted by AV software was when the policy applied was for the AV to scan all files prior to use. This often includes jar files and RDi uses a LOT of those. Every security team I have even pointed this out to has added a whitelist entry for RDi so that the jars are excluded from load time checks. Problem solved.

As to memory - I've seen the current version work well enough on a 4Gb machine and there aren't many with that little memory these days. One user I know purchased his own extra memory stick for abou $25 when his boss wouldn't go to bat to get him an upgrade!

Comment

I run Win7 with 16 GB RAM. Whenever I'm pairing with another dev with a less performant PC, I always think "why isn't debug starting?". It does eventually. The other dev doesn't even bat an eye.

Comment

I'm on Microsoft Virus 10 with 8GB of RAM and it runs fine.

Comment

RDi clashes with OpenScape UC client telephone software. Just impossible to run both on the same machine, so much so that I have to deactivate the UC client.
                  Regards

Kit
                  http://www.ecofitonline.com
                  DeskfIT - ChangefIT - XrefIT

Comment

Working...
                  X