System/36 Environment and QTEMP library

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System/36 Environment and QTEMP library

I posted this in the Freshers since it is not specifically a programming issue but a configuration issue and because I am new to the System/36 Environment.

I have a client who is running their system using the System/36 special environment. I have very little experience with this environment. The issue I have trying to deal with is as follows.

There were very close to running out of space on their machine and I found that they had one file in QS36f that was 55% of the disk space. After investigation of how the file was used I found that it was a work file that was being duplicated to QTEMP and then the qtemp version was to be populated with about 28000 records. The problem is that at some point someone removed QTEMP from the library lists of the jobs. And over time the file in QS36F grew as a program ran. I have cleared the file in QS36F and the programs are running fine except the file in just over one day now has 2.5 million records.

The QSYSLIBL system value is QSYS, QSYS2, QHLPSYS, QUSRSYS and the QUSRLIBL system value is ITSGPL, QGPL. The user profiles specify a current library of CRTDFT, no initial program and a jobd of QDFTJOBD. The QDFTJOBD says to use the *SYSVAL for the library list.

When the users sign on they have a library list as follows. It appears the the setting of the Current library and the adding of the #LIBRARY, QSSP, and QS36F are added by the System/36 Environemnt Attributes.

Library Type
    QSYS SYS
    QSYS2 SYS
    QHLPSYS SYS
    QUSRSYS SYS
    ITSNEW CUR
    #LIBRARY USR
    QSSP USR
    QS36F USR
    ITSGPL USR
    QGPL USR

I would like to return QTEMP to the library lists, but if I add it to the top of user portion of the library list it be below the QS36F library when the user signs on and I need it above QS36F. I may also need it above the Current library too.

Is is possible to add it as the last entry in the QSYSLIBL system value so that is appears above the current library?

Will the System/36 environment search on the system library list correctly for the files before the current library and user library list? I have never seen a sysem where the QTEMP library is not part of the user library list.

I would appreciate any advice that you are willing to offer.

Thank you
    Daniel_Main

Re: System/36 Environment and QTEMP library

I have never put QTEMP into the system portion of the library list. I don't know if the system will allow that or not. I don't know what problems it might cause.

Also, like you, I have never run without QTEMP in the library list.

I infer that the S/36 environment is configured to use the library list to find files. Is that correct?

The first thing I would do is to try to determine how the programs worked when QTEMP was in the library list and put it back like it was.

Comment

in the s36 environment key in "help flib"
      there are 2 parms
      1. name of library .............. this is where to locate your file
      2. use library list (libl/nolibl)

In OCL
      1. set your library list to be qtemp/qs36f
      2. flib qtemp libl
      3. load/run your program
      4. set your library list to be qs36f/qtemp
      5. flib qs36f libl

(not sure if steps 4 and 5 are necessary)

I think you should be OK

Best of Luck
      GLS
      The problem with quotes on the internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity.....Abraham Lincoln

Comment

You can also look at ovrdbf in OCL.....I'm pretty sure it works there

GLS
        The problem with quotes on the internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity.....Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Not sure how to manipulate the library list properly in the S/36 environment; but technically, a "product" library can be added to a job's library list. Two "product" library slots are available. They're below the system portion and above the "current" library.

It can take some work and some thought to handle "product" libraries properly. That's particularly true when (1) you find that you need to add one without using the automatic system handling (e.g., for command or menu definitions) and (2) you find that both slots are already in use. It's very uncommon to find that three or more are needed during a single function and you're doing it yourself, but I've needed to code for it.

Not suggested as the way to handle your issue, but it's available as a possibility.
          Tom

There are only two hard things in Computer Science: cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.

Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth?

Comment

Working...
          X