Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice

Hello all,

I am a recent grad of 6 months in Software Development. I specialize in Java, and web development, but I was hired to learn RPG, CL, etc for the IBMi series. I have now been with the company for 3 months, so I have 3 months of training on the "i" My IT Manager (there are or rather were only two of us) is quitting. We have a main site and several satellite sites we administrate. The company is in a crucial point and my Manager leaving means only myself. I need to propose the best or as good as possible educational route for myself to learn and master RPG and upgrade this S/36 System to the new world to my bosses. I find myself taking on more and more duties surrounding Administration which I'm fine with as long as I have a path to further my education and development on the "i" So, my question is, could someone suggest/recommend an educational pathway/resources that will get me into the "i" as an expert? I know this will take some time, but I want to get something moving so my presence is more needed and concrete. I know of things like the Common Certification, and DB2 Summit, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Programmer/Systems Analyst

Re: Advice

COMMON & the RPG & DB2 Summit are good starts. if you need more immediate training you can contact the wonderful folks at System i Developer http://systemideveloper.com/services.html and they do on-site training and such. i'm not affiliated with them but have gotten to know them fairly well. it's hard to beat the vast amount of knowledge that they have. i know there are others who perform this type of service but imo they would be best suited for your specific needs. perhaps JonBoy will chime in on this since he is part of that group.
    I'm not anti-social, I just don't like people -Tommy Holden

Comment

I second Tommy's recommendations. Also, take advantage of the people on this board. Many of us used to work on S/36. In fact, I did a project on a S/36 (not the S/36 environment under IBM i) in 2014. We might be a bit rusty, but we haven't forgotten that stuff.

Comment

Hi Robert:

Check out this thread:

It's from 2014 but the resources are still relevant

GLS
        The problem with quotes on the internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity.....Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. That old thread is quite helpful.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I am looking into all of the suggestions.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. They are helpful.

Rob

Comment

Left several replies, but apparently they are not getting approved. Thank you all for your input, it has been very helpful.

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by TedHolt View Post
                  I second Tommy's recommendations. Also, take advantage of the people on this board. Many of us used to work on S/36. In fact, I did a project on a S/36 (not the S/36 environment under IBM i) in 2014. We might be a bit rusty, but we haven't forgotten that stuff.
                  I'll third that recommendation. Two of the best, most cost-effective, courses I took were with these folks. The sooner you can get to the IBM i, the better.

Comment

I see that my posts got approved. Didn't mean to spam. Getting hit hard by just general IT requests and not able to study much. Trying to get clarity on my role, but at the end of the day I'm a developer, not a network admin. If I can stay focused on the programming the suggestions work great. Going to just have to make that happen.

Comment

Working...
                    X