Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Display records from a Physical File

Hello all,
    Can some one help me in writing a RPGLE program for displaying all the data of the physical file.

RPGLE program i tried:
    FPF9 IF E DISK
    DDS1 DS LIKEREC(RPF9)
    C *loval SETLL RPF9 90
    C READ PF9 ds1
    C DOW *in90 = *off
    C ds1 DSPLY
    C READ PF9 ds1
    C ENDDO
    C IF *in90 = *on
    C 'END' DSPLY
    C ENDIF
    C SETON LR

Its not working, please help me correct the code as i am new to RPG

Regards
    Nilesh

Re: Display records from a Physical File

this does not affect function , but don't do it; Read and Chain to file names, dont use the record format for this. Record formats should only be used for write / Update / Delete.

you need a 90 on the read line. You only have it on the setll (which you dont need) so it does not change. Your loop will not exit. the 'end' will only display if the 90 at the setll was turned on.
    Hunting down the future ms. Ex DeadManWalks. *certain restrictions apply

Comment

I followed your suggestion, but still the error stating loval shouldnot be used.

New code i tried was.
      FPF9 IF E DISK
      DDS1 DS LIKEREC(RPF9)
      C *loval SETLL PF9
      C READ PF9 ds1 90
      C DOW *in90 = *off
      C ds1 DSPLY
      C READ PF9 ds1 90
      C ENDDO
      C IF *in90 = *on
      C 'END' DSPLY
      C ENDIF
      C SETON LR

Please advice

Comment

I have no idea what the DS1 is for on the read line.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadManWalks View Post
          this does not affect function , but don't do it; Read and Chain to file names, dont use the record format for this. Record formats should only be used for write / Update / Delete.

you need a 90 on the read line. You only have it on the setll (which you dont need) so it does not change. Your loop will not exit. the 'end' will only display if the 90 at the setll was turned on.
          Can you please help me changing the code....it is not working

Comment

The PF i have created is PF9
            Code:
             A              R RPF9                                                  
             A                ALPHAN        25A         TEXT( 'ALPHA NUMERIC DATA') 
             A                NUMENRIC      25S 0
            The RPGLE program i have written is ;-
            Code:
            FPF9       IF   E             DISK                                      
            DDS1              DS                  LIKEREC(RPF9)                     
            C     *loval        SETLL     PF9                                       
            C                   READ      PF9           ds1                      90 
            C                   DOW       *in90 = *off                              
            C     ds1           DSPLY                                               
            C                   READ      PF9           ds1                      90 
            C                   ENDDO                                               
            C                   IF        *in90 = *on                               
            C     'END'         DSPLY                                               
            C                   ENDIF                                               
            C                   SETON                                        LR
            Please advice what changes i need to make for the program to compile
            Last edited by tomholden; January 23, 2014, 10:11 AM.

Comment

DS1 is a data structure to store the data....I am not sure if i should use it or not.......If i am wrong please correct it.

Comment

I like to help, but not when its basic like this. you dont use the DS1 on a read line. You read the table, then eval the table fields into other fields. If you just want to display then you just read the table, then display the field you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Nilesh3110 View Post
                  still the error stating loval should not be used.
                  You can use *START.

Why do you need to position the file, Nilesh? Do you think it may already be open from another program?

Comment

Originally posted by Nilesh3110 View Post
                    still the error stating loval should not be used.
                    You can use *START.

Why do you need to position the file, Nilesh? Do you think it may already be open from another program?

Comment

The reason *LOVAL gives an error is because the file is not keyed (no 'K' on the F-spec). However, using *LOVAL on SETLL is almost always a bad idea, you should use *START instead.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadManWalks View Post
                        I like to help, but not when its basic like this. you dont use the DS1 on a read line. You read the table, then eval the table fields into other fields. If you just want to display then you just read the table, then display the field you want.
                        Sir, It will be really very helpful please write the code for me........I will be really greatful to you

Comment

no one here should write your code, you learn nothing that way. this forum (and others) is not for "free contract work" but to assist in learning or problems. considering the questions you are asking I would recommend that you find a good book since this is more of a beginner question.
                          I'm not anti-social, I just don't like people -Tommy Holden

Comment

This has nothing to do with OP, moved to it's own thread.
                            Regards

Kit
                            http://www.ecofitonline.com
                            DeskfIT - ChangefIT - XrefIT

Comment

STRDBG myprogramname updprd(*YES)

step through it and see. If you don't know how to debug then you really need a book for beginners.

Comment

Working...
                              X