Reduce number of Objects in DB2 database schema

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reduce number of Objects in DB2 database schema

how to Reduce number of objects in DB2 database schema on AS400 to avoid reaching backup limits, AS400 system running SAP application,

DLTOBJ works very well for deleting objects but I don't think that is really what you are after. I don't know anything about SAP applications but what backup solution are you using that limits the number of objects you can save? I can see trying to save to much data to a backup system or a tape but that can be caused by objects, large tables, or other things.

You can start with dspobjd and get a list of objects and figure out which ones have not been used in a while, use prtdskinf to get info on tables that maybe getting large and could be cleaned.

There are lots of articles on cleaning a system if you google "disk clean up IBM I"

Make sure you are cleaning up old journal receivers.

If you have support they may also have some steps for cleanup.

Comment

The OS has limits on various aspects of a backup (among many other things). I would suggest reviewing the documentation on the knowledge centre to see where the issues lies (search for "maximum capacities" to find the link, for 7.2 it's http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledge...mpoverview.htm). It's hard to give advice without knowing what limit you are coming up against. Maybe splitting your save into multiple saves would help?

Comment

Originally posted by sajeevannv View Post
        how to Reduce number of objects in DB2 database schema on AS400 to avoid reaching backup limits, AS400 system running SAP application,
        I'd say that a schema with more 100,000 objects is too complex no matter how it affects backup limits. It seems almost guaranteed that many of the objects could be moved into different libraries and probably be saved separately.

It seems very unlikely that anyone can help much with such a schema through an internet forum. This likely requires access to the schema in order to do even the simplest analysis to help.
        Tom

There are only two hard things in Computer Science: cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.

Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth?

Comment

Working...
        X