Excel file to DB2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excel file to DB2

Can someone suggest steps to download an Excel file (Office 2010 version (.xlsx) version) to a DB file. I have struggled in the past with getting this to work using Client Access File transfer and BIFF format.

This is the current method I use but would like an alternative with less steps, preferably using file transfer:
    1. Create DB file on iSeries with field names corresponding to columns in .xlsx file.
    2. Save Excel file to PC in CSV format
    3. FTP file from PC to IFS on iSeries box
    4. Copy file from IFS to DB file created in step 1 using CPYFRMIMPF

Have you tried Surveyor/400 from Linoma? It's free for one user (you just need a new temporary key each 90 days which they will send you via email when you ask for it).

It has import and export functions. You can import from Excel. It's also a great file editor, I run SQLs in it, I use it to work with the IFS, etc. It's really great. No, I don't work for them. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Viking View Post
      Have you tried Surveyor/400 from Linoma? It's free for one user (you just need a new temporary key each 90 days which they will send you via email when you ask for it).

It has import and export functions. You can import from Excel. It's also a great file editor, I run SQLs in it, I use it to work with the IFS, etc. It's really great. No, I don't work for them. :-)

http://www.linomasoftware.com/products/surveyor
      I may try that. I think the Client Access file transfer is too tempermental

Comment

I would like to point out that XLSX is not BIFF format. Old versions of Excel used a format called BIFF (most recently version 8, called BIFF8) that usually had an extension of .XLS on the file. Excel can still read and save in this format, but it is no longer the default. Microsoft switched starting with (I think) Office 2007 to use the Office Open XML format, which is a directory of XML files that have been zipped together. This newer format typically uses the extension XLSX.

So if makes perfect sense that you can't upload an XLSX file to a program that expects BIFF format.

Comment

Btw, the Java-based IBM i Access Client Solutions emulator that I now use instead of Client Access has a data import function and one of the options is Excel.

Unrelated to your question, but I also like several other features about it, like that I can page up and down with my mouse scroll wheel. It was free and easy to install, and I haven't used Client Access since.

Comment

Originally posted by Viking View Post
            Btw, the Java-based IBM i Access Client Solutions emulator that I now use instead of Client Access has a data import function and one of the options is Excel.

Unrelated to your question, but I also like several other features about it, like that I can page up and down with my mouse scroll wheel. It was free and easy to install, and I haven't used Client Access since.
            How can I get the Java-based IBM i Access Client Solutions emulator you are referring to

Comment

I downloaded it after logging into the IBM site. Nothing to install, just run it. Portable and easy, and I like the functions.

Here's some info.
              ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/as400/pro...ed_en.html#1.0

And another link: http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/power/...solutions.html

Comment

Working...
              X