Conversion ot ILE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conversion ot ILE

So my boss comes by yesterday and states that they want to convert our Cobol portions of our application to ILE.

Does anyone know wehre I can get reference material or anything.
    We have appoxoimatelt 500 OPM COBOL programs. I'm not sure if the want to convert all of them or possbile do some analysis and see which programs use enough resources to
    warrant a conversion.
    Any ideas would be much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    John
    John M. Mauro
    Software Engineer
    nThrive

Re: Conversion ot ILE

most should convert without a problem...personally my preference for any conversion is to convert as you have to modify....however with v6r1 forcing a conversion of the objects, i'd use the ANZOBJCNV and hit the ones that are reported as having a possible loss of integrity as well. doing a blanket conversion is not a fun prospect...not only that if you do all at once and something blows...you have to dig ALOT harder to find the program causing the issue (i'm not a COBOL programmer BTW but this applies to ALL languages not just COBOL)
    I'm not anti-social, I just don't like people -Tommy Holden

Comment

Originally posted by johnmauro View Post
      So my boss comes by yesterday and states that they want to convert our Cobol portions of our application to ILE.
      I'm not an OPM COBOL programmer, but as I understand it, simply changing the source type from CBL to CBLLE will convert an existing program to ILE based object code. I have heard that most OPM programs will convert with no problems.

However, this does not address the ILE runtime/unit environment, service programs, modules, etc. that represents a full conversion to a true ILE-based application environment.

So, if your boss just wants the code recompiled as "ILE" - that should be fairly simple. If he's talking about restructuring your package to be a full ILE style of environment...well, that's another story ;-)

Terry

Comment

another caveat though Terry...if they convert all the CLs to CLLEs even with COBOL they still need to verify that all OVRDBF, etc still function as expected correct? (again i'm not a COBOLer but with RPGLE i know using CLLEs having OVRDBFs can cause problems if not handled appropriately)

Comment

Originally posted by tomholden View Post
          if they convert all the CLs to CLLEs even with COBOL they still need to verify that all OVRDBF, etc still function as expected correct?
          Agreed, this may be a problem! Of course, it all depends on their environment...the poster mentioned the "COBOL portions" which tells me that not all of their programs are COBOL. If there are ILE/RPG programs making calls to ILE/COBOL programs, that in turn call other programs, this could get messy I'm not a real whiz on the COBOL run units but I know that the ILE COBOL world requires closer review to ensure that any overrides and such are scoped to the proper level (*CALLER, *JOB, etc).

If, on the other hand, they just have applications called from menus then the impact would probably be minor. As far as I know, CLLE's that simply call ILE/COBOL programs don't require anything special for overrides...its only when you mix languages and environments (OPM and ILE) where this becomes a problem -OR- you make extensive use of COBOL run units.

Terry

Comment

Tom & Terry,
            Thank you for your input . It is much appreciated. Our shop does have
            Cobol, RPGIV, RPGLE, and "C" programs all running within the application, with cals back and forth amoungst the languages.
            Can you point me to some reference with regards to the overrides
            and the inpact that converting to ILE will have?
            Once again Thank You Very Much,
            John
            John M. Mauro
            Software Engineer
            nThrive

Comment

start Here

overrides, etc are covered in general in Chapter 11.

Comment

Working...
              X