ibmi-brunch-learn

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to make a call from linkage section.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to make a call from linkage section.

I always call a subprogram using a 01 level CWXP119-LINKAGE in WS. ie. CALL 'CWXP119' USING CWXP119-LINKAGE. This always works. Because of this application, I want to call a subprogram directly from the calling program LINKAGE SECTION ie. :

PROGRAM ID. CWXP115.

LINKAGE SECTION.
    01 LINKAGE-AREA.
    05 SOMETHING PIC X(9000).

*** call the subprogram. This is what I want to do.

CALL 'CWXP119' USING LINKAGE-AREA.

*** this gets me to the subprogram CWXP119, it executes however when I hit the GOBACK and/or EXIT PROGRAM at the end of subprogram CWXP119, the last page of the program is displayed in debug and it gives me an addressing error. I think this method should work. Can someone give me a thumbs up or down? Or, if you have a solution please let me know. Thank you.

Re: Trying to make a call from linkage section.

Your code looks fine. Can you be more specific about the addressing error? Message ID? Text?

Comment

Originally posted by mytruck_82
      I always call a subprogram using a 01 level CWXP119-LINKAGE in WS. ie. CALL 'CWXP119' USING CWXP119-LINKAGE. This always works. Because of this application, I want to call a subprogram directly from the calling program LINKAGE SECTION ie. :

PROGRAM ID. CWXP115.

LINKAGE SECTION.
      01 LINKAGE-AREA.
      05 SOMETHING PIC X(9000).

*** call the subprogram. This is what I want to do.

CALL 'CWXP119' USING LINKAGE-AREA.

*** this gets me to the subprogram CWXP119, it executes however when I hit the GOBACK and/or EXIT PROGRAM at the end of subprogram CWXP119, the last page of the program is displayed in debug and it gives me an addressing error. I think this method should work. Can someone give me a thumbs up or down? Or, if you have a solution please let me know. Thank you.

Comment

Thanks Ted. I appreciate your reply. I have the issue figured out but since it was yesterday I can't remember the details. Most likely my problem evolved from mismatched linkage. It seems like you should be able to make a call from the 01 level in the linkage section as opposed to a definition in WS. Again thank you. Gary

Comment

How do you get addressability to the Linkage Section item? Assumedly via Procedure Division Using ... but you don't show that code so I can't tell. If you don't have that then the field has no address and will cause a fault when you try to use the field in the called routine.

Comment

Working...
          X