Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• View in COBOL in place of physical file

Hi guys,
    I have a question if you can help me please, I have to use a view created with SQL in place of the physical file, I created the view with sql and I don't have dds for this:

create view library.file_view
    as select*from library.pysical_file
    where some conditions (some_filed of physical_file ='xx' for example)

I have to change the physical file with the view file in a few cobol programs, but I think I don't have key records for this, I supposed that the view is similar to logical file,
    the physical file has 2 fields as keys and it is declared as:

select physical_file to database-physical_file
    organization indexed
    access mode dynamic
    record key is externally-described-key
    file status physical_file-status.

Please if you can help me with this, I have to make a logical file with dds with declared key?

Re: View in COBOL in place of physical file

A view cannot be keyed. If I can't change the program to use embedded SQL, I create a logical file.

Another technique that I have tried but not used in production is to create an index that has conditions and includes all fields, and change my program to read that index as a database file. It works in RPG test programs, but whether it's a good idea or not, I don't know.

Also, I have only tried this for input-only files. I don't know what would happen if a program tried to update or add rows (records) thru the index.

Code:
    create index qiws/qcustcdt1
    on qiws/qcustcdt (cusnum)   
    where state in ('TX', 'CA') 
    rcdfmt cusrec               
    add all columns

Comment

The question doesn't say that SQL can't be used in the COBOL program; it just says that the view should be used. Of course, if it can be a SQL COBOL program, it doesn't seem to make clear sense that a view was created with all columns from the table unless it is intended to authorize users only to certain rows in the table. And if that's the case, then creating a LF with DDS contradicts requirements.

It seems that this needs to be a SQL COBOL program and that keys are irrelevant. Identification of rows is simply by appropriate uses of WHERE clauses. The rows could be FETCHed through a cursor over the view and UPDATEd when the identifying columns match whatever supposed to match. These would be done using a WHERE CURRENT OF <cursor> clause. Or UPDATEs will simply be done directly to the view, again while matching identifying columns. Matches in this case would be a simple WHERE clause.

More needs to understood about requirements and about programs that need to be changed before being sure of much.
      Tom

There are only two hard things in Computer Science: cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.

Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth?

Comment

Since a view never has key and you apparently want to use joined view and read the data in a predefined sequence, you must use embedded SQL instead of native I/O.

Birgitta

Comment

Maybe I don't understand the question, voicucosmin90.

As I understand it, you have a lot of programs that access a physical file by key. You need to change those programs so that they only access certain records of the file. You've created a view to select the records and you want to make the programs use the view instead of the physical file. If so, then you need a logical file or index that is keyed like the physical file and will select the records.

If that's not accurate, please correct me so I can understand.

Comment

Thanks for answers guys,.. yes, TedHolt, this is it, I have to change the physical file in these programs with the view (view created with SQL for retrieving with some conditions records from physical file). The problem was that I don't have keys on the view and I don't know how to handle this stuff in cobol programs, how can I change statements:
            select physical_file to database-physical_file
            organization indexed
            access mode dynamic
            record key is externally-described-key
            file status physical_file-status.

... I will try to make a logical file with DDS with keys in place of view, I will see if I will can make on this way.

Comment

I brought this thread to the attention of Dan Cruikshank of IBM. He said creating an index with the RCDFMT and ADD ALL COLUMNS phrases and declaring it for record-level access was a bad idea. He recommended creating a logical file.

Comment

Thank you TedHolt, I created a logical file, I chose this option with a logical file for selection and keys, thanks for help.

Comment

If that's the case, then the original statement "I have to use a view created with SQL" seems to be wrong. And if a keyed logical will be used in place of the physical, maybe you could have simply added a key to the physical and skipped creating a logical.

In many cases, a key can be added with the ADDPFCST TYPE(*PRIKEY) command. It does require uniqueness, but that's not unusual. If unique keys are needed, it can be handy.
                  Tom

There are only two hard things in Computer Science: cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.

Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth?

Comment

thanks tomliotta, yes, finally I used a logical file and initially I was wrong when I said a view,.. the idea was to retrieve just some records from the physical file,.. the physical file was indexed and had 2 keys and in the program it is used indexed with keys.
                    I made a logical file with these two keys in order to keep the program logic and the access to the file.. but in the DDS for logical file I have set selection only for the records who accomplish some conditions (for example select only records with some_field = 'X', (this was the scope for the SQL view but I don't know how to handle this in cobol and I rest to logical file with DDS which is good) )

Comment

Working...
                    X