Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Embedded link in email

Hi all,
    Done some research and didn't find a solid answer....
    I am creating a csv file via an RPGLE program and FTP'ing that file to a network folder.
    To alert users of this file creation, I want to send an email with a clickable link to the file like click here
    Looked at SNDDST and SNDSMTPEMM but don't see that these would do what I want.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Mike.
    Everyday's a school day, what grade are you in?

You'll need to send html. With SNDSMTPEMM the body of the email can contain html with a link. <a href="your_url">click here</a>

Comment

UserName10,
      Tried what you said a few times;
      The first time I got the line of code in the body that was to be the link.
      Then I changed the "Content Type" to *HTML and the "Type" to *BIN and used the IFS path as the attachment with the code in the body like before and this time it failed completely.
      Is the code you provided punctuated properly, is anything missing?

Mike

Comment

FOUND THE PROBLEM....
        Thanks for your help.

Can't get the link (click here) to be a link to the file but was able to get the file sent as an attachment that actually opens. Previously, when attempting to open the attachment, I would get a message stating that the file could not be found, now it is. This behavior prompted this posting in an effort to find another way.

Would really be awesome to get the link portion working but....

Comment

Redvan,

I use the following when I need to embed a link in an email to a file on a server (network or IFS).

file://<serverAddress>//<completeFilePath>

example: file://192.168.1.1/Purchasing/orders/order_51234.pdf
          file://serverDNSalias/Purchasing/orders/order_51234.pdf

Windows understands this.

Walt

Comment

My first guess would be a security issue.

Comment

Typically, you can only use file:// links in HTML that's loaded directly from a file (vs. an e-mail or http server) or in the URL bar directly. It is considered a security problem, otherwise. There may be mail clients that don't follow this rule, but I sure wouldn't rely on them being available.

If you want a link in an e-mail to open a document, the best way is to set up an HTTP server on the machine where the document is hosted. Really good, high quality, HTTP servers are available at no charge for just about every platform. Set up the server so that you can link to the file (possibly also with signon, ssl, etc if security is needed) and then use the http link from the e-mail.

Comment

• wegrace
                wegrace commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for the tips Scott.

Walt

• wegrace
                wegrace commented
                Editing a comment
                Scott,

as a followup question....

Do you happen to have a link or the name of a book that talks about the security issues related to using 'file://', so that I can get better informed?

Thanks,
                Walt

No, I don't have a link, but if you Google it you'll find lots of info.

Comment

• wegrace
                wegrace commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for the reply Scott.

Walt
            Working...
            X