Are you using RUNSQL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Are you using RUNSQL?

I've only ever worked on this one box - minimal SQL and only fixed-format RPGLE. I've often wondered what it would be like to work on a box where we can use all the latest stuff.

I don't remember why I started teaching myself SQL. I think I just happened on it, saw how powerful it was, and began experimenting with it more and more with the help of Google.
    I taught myself free format RPGLE and SQLRPGLE last year in part because it was interesting, but mostly because I was afraid that only knowing fixed format RPGLE would not look very good on my CV if I ever had to find a new job.

Comment

I started using "SQL" back in mid-/late-80s when Sequel was offered at a special intro cost of something like US$1200 for System/38. I got a demo copy and started running sample ad hoc queries for a city I was doing contracts for. They were going through an annual governmental audit and requests were coming in a few times each day for all kinds of data. I used Sequel so much that I convinced the DP manager to submit a purchase request through the city manager and council. (It was commonly called "DP" back then.)

A couple days later, I heard that the license purchase had been denied.

Early the next week, a new query request came down. I sent back an estimate that it could be fulfilled by mid-next-week. Very shortly after, I was asked from upstairs why it would take so long since so many similar requests had been handled almost in minutes in the previous couple weeks.

I replied that the evaluation ended for Sequel, which I'd been using recently. I'd need to go through the usual old work process of finding/summarizing records, getting a report created, testing, etc. And it had to fit in with the on-going schedules of other work. A quick ad hoc process simply was no longer available.

I was informed the next day that the city manager pushed through an emergency purchase order for a license. Been into "SQL" ever since.

As for RUNSQL, I use it like everyone else has mentioned, perhaps more often than most. But I've used "SQL" for so long with CL that it's almost automatic for me to think about it. And yes, I do a lot of SQL in RPG, COBOL and (rarely) even C.
      Tom

There are only two hard things in Computer Science: cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.

Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth?

Comment

Originally posted by tomliotta View Post
        I started using "SQL" back in mid-/late-80s when Sequel...
        Wait, what? SQL and Sequel aren't the same thing??

Ok, probably shouldn't have opened that can of worms.

Comment

Originally posted by tomliotta View Post
          I started using "SQL" back in mid-/late-80s when Sequel was offered at a special intro cost of something like US$1200 for System/38.
          SEQUEL was not my first exposure to SQL, but it was my first production-environment use of SQL. When I left a S/36 shop for a S/38 shop, one of the first things I did was to have them license SEQUEL. The controller liked the way I could produce a report for him quickly and on short notice. It was a life saver.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim_IT View Post
            I will mention that I run the IBM command renamed as RUNSQLIBM.
            I submit that it would be wiser to replace that with the following:

CRTPRXCMD CMD(QGPL/RUNSQLIBM) TGTCMD(QSYS/RUNSQL)

This way - you can still use the RUNSQLIBM command - it will run IBM's RUNSQL. If a PTF comes down the pike that effects RUNSQL you're fine as you're running QSYS/RUNSQL anyway - the PTF will take effect.

Comment

Working...
            X