X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Receiving the value from a pgm when prompting my cmd

Hi!

I would like to know if there is this possibility with commands:

I would like to define a parameter whose default value has to be retrieved from a program when the user prompts my command (F4); a kind of choice program but instead of giving a list, sets the parameter's default value.

Any idea?

Thanks
    Dom

It's not clear what you're asking because it's not clear why a command needs a default to be returned from a program. It's possibly easier simply to have a default special value like (*PERUSER) or (*LOCATION) or whatever, then have the command processing program (CPP) call the "pseudo-choice program" to replace the special value with the specific default. And if you can't change the existing CPP, then create a new 'wrapper' CPP that replaces the value and calls your current 'CPP' when it finds the assigned special value.

Maybe if you post a mock-up of your prompted command, the need will be clearer.
    Tom

There are only two hard things in Computer Science: cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.

Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth?

Comment

If you define the command PARM with the KEYPARM(*YES) keyword, then a prompt control program will get called which can set the values for the KEYPARM parameters. https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledg...mptoverpgm.htm

The nice thing about showing a customized default value is that the user can change the values before they press ENTER. Imagine using CHGJOB if you couldn't see the current values ...

Comment

It hadn't occurred to me previously that a KEYPARM() could be specified with a CONSTANT() value and thereby not even be displayed. Used like that, it could make this very practical.
        Tom

There are only two hard things in Computer Science: cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.

Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth?

Comment

Believe it or not, while I was writing my second topic because I could not reply to this one, the problem has been fixed..
          Well, in case my second topic will be cancelled, as I have asked, I write my post here, exactly where it should have been:

BTW I would like to thank both of you for the answers.

@Barbara, you're perfectly right, that is the reason of my request and you answered perfectly, thanks a lot!

Comment

Working...
          X