RUNRMTCMD time out after 60 minutes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RUNRMTCMD time out after 60 minutes

I use RUNRMTCMD from a CLP program run in batch to run a .cmd file on a Windows Server 2003 server. The purpose of the .cmd file was to build a Cognos cube. However, I have had problems: when the cube build takes over 60 minutes, control is not returned to the AS/400. To simplify the problem, I have now changed the .cmd so that it runs for 50 minutes and doesn't do anything (just waits 50 minutes and then terminates). This is OK, the AS/400 batch job gets control back and is able to continue. I then alter the wait time in the .cmd file to 70 minutes and try again. This time the AS/400 batch job never gets control back.

Can anyone help please?

Re: RUNRMTCMD time out after 60 minutes

It is two days since I posted - does anyone have any pointers? I am desperate to get this working.

Comment

Hi Frank, have you tried setting the wait time parameter on the RUNRMTCMD command to *nomax? It's not clear from your post whether this is what you are doing.
      Have you checked the job log for messages when the runrmtcmd ends it's wait?
      the smoking gnu

Comment

Thanks chrisr but it is set to *nomax and that parameter is more of a connection parameter that would affect how long the AS/400 spends looking for the Windows server so as to get connected rather than how long it should allow for the Windows job to finish. Help text:
        "Specifies the time in seconds to wait for the return (echo) before declaring the remote location to be unreachable."

Regarding the job log, the AS/400 batch job never ends, it just waits for the Windows server to signal that it has ended. So there is nothing after the RUNRMTCMD in the log.

The reason I think that it is an AS/400 setting is that it used to work with batch jobs taking over an hour but since the AS/400 has been replaced and the operating system has been replaced with the latest version, it no longer does. The server is still running a previous version of Client-Access. I suppose it is possible that this is causing the problem, but it will not be easy for me to get this upgraded.

Comment

...it used to work with batch jobs taking over an hour but since the AS/400 has been replaced and the operating system has been replaced with the latest version, it no longer does.
          In that case, did IBM Support have an explanation?
          Tom

There are only two hard things in Computer Science: cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.

Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth?

Comment

No I haven't contacted IBM Support, because my customer has the relationship with IBM for this hardware. But it is an excellent point and I have put the ball back into the customer's court by requesting they do so.

In the meantime, if anyone has had the same experience, please let me know.

Comment

When a problem shows up like "It worked until we upgraded" and there's no indication of code changes, IBM Support should be a first step. I'd try some testing, but I have to order and install 7.1 first. (And that reminds me that I need to do it soon!)
              Tom

There are only two hard things in Computer Science: cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.

Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth?

Comment

Originally posted by tomliotta View Post
                When a problem shows up like "It worked until we upgraded" and there's no indication of code changes, IBM Support should be a first step. I'd try some testing, but I have to order and install 7.1 first. (And that reminds me that I need to do it soon!)
                ha that makes two of us, least i have the install i just need to get it on the box
                i agree with contacting IBM Support, otherwise I'd be checking if something has changed in the Cognos job
                the smoking gnu

Comment

Hi Frank:

Just a wild guess but what are the system values for QINACTITV and QINACTMSGQ?

Best of Luck
                  GLS
                  The problem with quotes on the internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity.....Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by GLS400 View Post
                    Hi Frank:

Just a wild guess but what are the system values for QINACTITV and QINACTMSGQ?

Best of Luck
                    GLS
                    They are *NONE and *ENDJOB

Comment

Working...
                    X