stopping large spooled files after leaving outq

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stopping large spooled files after leaving outq

I have an Epson forms printer that is attached to a dumb terminal. When printing large spooled files, the spooled files leave the outq and there is no way to hold or delete them once they start printing. How can I control - or can I - how much of the spooled file goes to the printer at once? This is a new printer and the previous one (IBM 42??) you could see the report and its status as it printed - like printing page 73 of 150, then you could hold or delete it.
    Thanks

Re: stopping large spooled files after leaving outq

You need to manage the printer file (usually via an Override) as to whether of not the spool file that is created is to be held, saved, etc. prior to it being created. If this is a situation where you want to control some and not others, you could have the printer file set to hold then look at its attributes (QUSRSPLA API) to determine what you want to do with it next.

Comment

Originally posted by DAG0000 View Post
      You need to manage the printer file (usually via an Override) as to whether of not the spool file that is created is to be held, saved, etc. prior to it being created. If this is a situation where you want to control some and not others, you could have the printer file set to hold then look at its attributes (QUSRSPLA API) to determine what you want to do with it next.
      I really didn't want to hold them. The older printer did not work this way. Example if the user incorrectly enters the wrong date on a prompt screen and prints 3 years worth of data and its 500 page. Before with the old printer it would start printing but from WRKOUTQ you could see it and the status would be 'Printing 17 of 500 pages' and you could hold it and then delete it. Now with the new printer the spool file leaves the OUTQ almost immediately and begins printing. The only way to stop it is to turn the printer off.

Comment

Does the printer have a Cancel button?

Comment

I suspect that the new printer is has far more memory and is able to load the entire spool file into its buffer prior to printing. You could check to see if the printer file is set to spool the data first. Other than that you could check the old and new device descriptions to look for a differences. I'm guessing the you just swapped in the new printer and had the system auto config a new device. This looks like one of those questions where you may be better served calling IBM, assuming you have support on the system) You may find the solution faster calling them, than waiting possibly several days for a response or searching the web.

Comment

Working...
          X