X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• print dinanically a PDF

Hi all,
    sorry for the question i'm going to post but i'm quite new to as400
    i would like to print a pdf with dynamic data inside.

1) i have a text as input, don't know what is the content,
    2) i have many words, defined in a db file, that have to be printed in bold, italic, ...
    3) i have to print on a PDF

my problem is that i've many reports, but i print them with a dds prtf, is there a way to print bold, higlights, and so on without a dds?

thanks in advance to anyone could help

Re: print dinanically a PDF

I am confused. Let me ask and then you can clarify.

Is this an existing spooled file that you then want to bold, highlight? Or do you control the building of the file?

If you control the building of the file, DDS does allow for bolding, underlining, but not highlighting.
    If you do not control the building, ouch, you could use APIS that use userspaces and alter the data in the space, then use an API to put the userspace back to a new spooled file.

I will ponder how I would highlight something. I think I would have to through it to pc an and run vb ( or whatever) over the file to tickle it.

There are several products (free) that can turn a spooled file into a PDF. Do a search.
    Hunting down the future ms. Ex DeadManWalks. *certain restrictions apply

Comment

All my answers were extracted from the "Big Dummy's Guide to the As400"
      and I take no responsibility for any of them.

www.code400.com

Comment

Wich version ?
        Patrick

Comment

Depending on what hoops you're willing to jump through, Aaron Bartell has an open source piece of software called HTML2PDF4i - it's a Java program that, like the name suggests, allows you to convert HTML to a PDF document. HTML is of course a very basic and openly defined markup language, and combined with CSS, allows pretty much limitless possibilities for report formatting.

Comment

Working...
          X