IBM Access Client

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IBM Access Client

This is the newest version of emulator and it is Java based.

When opening a new session, it takes almost 15 seconds to open and I cannot use any other session until the request completes..
    I know what you're all thinking but sit back right now and count to 15; one, one thousand, two one thousand... - it's an eternity.

Is this how it should be or is something not set correctly?
    Red.
    Everyday's a school day, what grade are you in?

To reiterate the issue:
    1. You have the main iACS program open (that's the one with the System drop-down, and links for Data Transfer, 5250 Emulator, etc)
    2. You click the 5250 Emulator link, and it's 15 seconds before the session starts.

Is that correct? Once you have a session open, if on that session you File-New Tab is it another 15 seconds?

Comment

Originally posted by redvan View Post
      This is the newest version of emulator and it is Java based.
      I think you answered your own question ;-)

Same problem here...slow to open and a little sluggish in general.

I will stay with the older, more reliable Client Access until I retire

Comment

• jtaylor___
        jtaylor___ commented
        Editing a comment
        For me, iACS 5250 starts about twice as fast as the old PC5250 client.

• jtaylor___
        jtaylor___ commented
        Editing a comment
        Assuming iACS is already running. Starting 5250 from scractch iAccess is about 4 seconds and iACS 7.

Yes jtaylor,
      that is exactly the issue.
      Everyday's a school day, what grade are you in?

Comment

That's odd. It's takes about 7 seconds for my main iACS window to come up, but 5250 sessions start quickly.

Comment

How are you launching the emulator?

If you have the main iACS window open and you click "5250 Emulator", that is a couple of seconds for me. Clicking it again for another session is nearly instant.

On the other hand, directly running a .hod file takes longer because that starts a whole new instance of iACS. This is what I do, because I like the convenience of having .hod file shortcuts pinned to the iACS taskbar icon. And because each 5250 session I launch needs its own separate .hod file because each needs a different workstation ID.

Comment

• Vectorspace
            Vectorspace commented
            Editing a comment
            That would work great, but unfortunately for me workstation ID's are indexed with a trailing letter. My three are ABC12345, ABC12345A, and ABC12345B (where ABC12345 is my PC name)

• jtaylor___
            jtaylor___ commented
            Editing a comment
            I had it backwards. iAccess used trailing numbers, while iACS uses trailing letters. In iACS, Communication->Configure then under Connection click the Generate button. On the Generate Workstation ID dialogue, check "Avoid duplicate names on this workstation", and then click OK until you're out. See if that allows one HOD to open multiple sessions with the IDs you need.

• Vectorspace
            Vectorspace commented
            Editing a comment
            It does, however it starts with A instead of blank. Which means I lose my ABC12345 workstation ID, and only get to use two - ABC12345A and ABC12345B. I might speak to the Ops team to see if they can rename ABC12345 to ABC12345C.

You are going to get different answers to this because the performance of what your running is depending on the system your running it on. What O/S are you running, how much memory, what type of processor, how many processes are running in the background, etc... For example if your running windows 10 with less than 10 gig of ram, performance is going to be sub par at best. If your running a lot of processes in background, performance (like 200 or more) performance is going will not be good. A lot of company's buy PC's running windows 10 but only 4 Gig of ram, and performance sucks. Double it and its like a whole new machine. I'm running windows 10 with 8 gig ram and it takes about 7 - 10 seconds to start that software the first time. There may be other factors at play with the software but I'd take a look at your PC first. then start looking at what you can do to boost performance of the app.

Comment

Well about 2 years ago I raised an RFE for ACS because it took 50 to 60 seconds to start.
            http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=114837

At that time my PC had a conventional disk but after changing to a new with a SSD disk
            the problem was solved and ACS started within 5 to 10 seconds. There may be other factors
            like more ram and a faster cpu but I think that it was the SSD that made the difference.

It might also be the version of ACS you are using.
            I'm not using the latest version of ACS.
            Haven't had time to upgrade and test it before implementing it for our users.

Comment

I use a mix of the older OpsNav and iAccess Client Solutions and ACS Session Manager. The response times for 5250 emulator are very quick not matter which application invokes the 5250 session.

But the big applications OpsNav and iAccess Client Solutions take a bit of time to get going but I live with it.

Comment

Working...
              X