Python on IBM I-series/AS400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Python on IBM I-series/AS400

IBM has many open source technology stacks in their i-series machines. Does anyone know whether IBM officially provides support for Python language like they do for native RPG/CL language ??

IBM i (but not iSeries or AS/400, which are old and discontinued) do officially support Python.

It is significantly different from RPG or CL in that Python is not written by IBM. Instead, they provide the open source Python environment -- the same environment that runs on Linux and other OSes -- but it is provided by IBM and runs on IBM i in the PASE environment.

Comment

It depends on how you define "IBM officially provides support for Python". IBM makes available RPM's that you can install using their version of YUM. OTOH, if you call IBM support with a problem and you mention Python, they'll cut you off and tell you it's not supported. Even if the problem is in RPG or Java, Python being in the mix is enough for them to deny support.

Comment

I included a link to the Ryver thread where I detailed my experience, but it looks like it was removed. If you go there and look at topics in the General category, the topic is "XMLSERVICE, RPGLE & Java error".

Comment

Originally posted by jtaylor___ View Post
        if you call IBM support with a problem and you mention Python, they'll cut you off and tell you it's not supported. Even if the problem is in RPG or Java, Python being in the mix is enough for them to deny support.
        Hmmm... we don't do Python where I work. (I don't like the language, personally.)

but, we do use other tools that IBM provides in YUM, especially Node.js. And, my experience has been different from yours!

If you, for example, send IBM a script that works fine on other platforms like Linux, Mac, Windows, etc and doesn't work on IBM i, they will solve the problem for IBM i. When there are new security updates, they will update the YUM packages so you can install them. When new versions or features come out, IBM also updates the YUM packages, etc. To me, this is support -- and its exactly what I expect. They fix defects and provide updates.

If your definition of support is "if I don't know how to do something, IBM shows me how" then, yeah... I wouldn't be surprised if they don't do that. But, to me, that's not support -- it's training.

Comment

The issue was Python calling RPG. If the RPG code calls Java, it blows up (even if the RPG does nothing but instantiate a single character Java String object). They told me I'd have to buy a consulting contract for IBM to do anything about it.

Comment

Thank you everyone who took time to comment on this. Definitely helpful.

Comment

Working...
            X