Send Function keys and F4 to the AS400 through data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Send Function keys and F4 to the AS400 through data

I have a piece of scanning software that will bring text into the 5250 emulator screen on the iSeries in plain text. I would like to start the string with the system automatically hitting F4 and at the end of the string pressing ENTER. I have the ability to control what starts and ends the string of data. Is there a character sequence that can be sent to the 5250 emulator that will invoke those key strokes?

Re: Send Function keys and F4 to the AS400 through data

Do you mean like a macro or like a copy and paste function?
    Hunting down the future ms. Ex DeadManWalks. *certain restrictions apply

Comment

Usually when you use a scanner with a 5250 screen, you use something called a "wedge" that works by intercepting the keyboard cable, and sending the electrical impulses that the computer expects to receive for keys being pressed.

Is this what you are doing? If so, you need to read the manual for your keyboard wedge and it's software, they will explain how to send stuff like the F4 and Enter keyboard codes to the system.

But, of course, I don't know if you're using a keyboard wedge or another method, since you really didn't explain that.

Comment

I'm curious about what the function of the F4 key is. We have scanners that plug directly into a USB port and the scanned data is sent directly to a display file controlled by an RPG program. We can set the scanners to send an enter key after the scan, tab to the next field, or do nothing. I don't know if they can send anything before the scanned data.

Comment

I just verified with one of our technicians that the scanners we have can be set to send a function key. The product manual has a section that contains the bar codes that represent the function keys.

Comment

Working...
          X