Interview coding exercises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interview coding exercises

Looking for a way to better determine if an applicant knows what he is doing and can solve problems on their own. One of the best ways to me is to have a few simple but not to simple coding exercises. Does anyone have some experience with ones that have worked better than others. I have not really ever done hiring but I am being asked to assist and try and weed out some applicants.

Re: Interview coding exercises

I have a generic one that i like to use.

Tell me in steps how to put on a pair of shoes.

They better give me testing (do you have feet) , detailed procedures (check for shoes on feet first. If you do are they lace or slip on. ....).

I never liked giving codding tests and most of all i write is one of many clones. But problem solving under pressure works for me.
    Hunting down the future ms. Ex DeadManWalks. *certain restrictions apply

Comment

I agree... Never liked tests. I always start with -- What was your favorite thing you ever coded.
      Then from there I slowly go into more and more detail.
      All my answers were extracted from the "Big Dummy's Guide to the As400"
      and I take no responsibility for any of them.

www.code400.com

Comment

Have you ever run into someone that will interview well and talk a good talk but when put in front of a computer can' think and work through a basic problem?

Comment

We sure did. When on the job he said he did not know how to text. omg.
          Hunting down the future ms. Ex DeadManWalks. *certain restrictions apply

Comment

That would be bad. In my mind we need to ask the good thinking questions especially during the phone interviews as most of the applicants are not local and are looking to relocate. But then we have to pick a couple to bring on site and then at least with a basic coding exercise you will know with some certainty that they walk the walk also. This will also give a look at their coding style, see if they stayed up to date as most of them are experienced developers.

Comment

Working...
            X