FTP towards UNIX losing accents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTP towards UNIX losing accents

Just wondering if any of you character set experts out there can help please ?

We have a ftp of a PF (CCSID 297) from an iSeries to a Unix machine. The file is then picked up by another iSeries. This has been in place for years and has worked fine, except now we have starting sending lowercase French letters with accents, which are not arriving correctly. Before it was only capital letters with no accents in the file

Unfortunately we are not able to do the ftp directly between the 2 iSeries machines.

Anyone got an idea how we can get the ?translation? to work between these different platforms?

Re: FTP towards UNIX losing accents

Are you doing any processing on the data in the Unix box or just using it to pass through? If just passing the data through just pass the file as BINary...

Comment

Thanks for the reply Rocky!

No there is no processing at all on the Unix box.

I had tried sending it as binary (TYPE I) yesterday. When I tried retrieving it myself using GET (back to the iSeries it had come from, but under a different name) I had the accents OK but lost the physical file formatting completely...I just had one big long record ? I retrieved it to a file that didn't exist. Does the PF file have to exist already in order to to have the "structure" ?

The other iSeries had absolute garbage when they picked it up, but I wonder if they just left the default mode of ASCII.

Does any of this make sense ? I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to ftp

Comment

The scenario I gave assumes that the PF exists on the receiving system... alternatively you could put the file into a SAV file first - ftp it to the Unix Server, etc and restore it from the save file. On the receiving side you either have to have the SAVF file created or put it in /QSYS.LIB/libname.lib/savfile.SAVF - the .SAVF extension will create it as a SAVF.

Comment

Thanks Rocky for the pointers ! That worked absolutely fine using BIN with the file already existing on the receiving system.

Comment

Good that it works. Why can't you just use one iseries to another?
            Hunting down the future ms. Ex DeadManWalks. *certain restrictions apply

Comment

The other iSeries is not directly accessible as it is not on our network. It belongs to an external supplier, so we have to pass by this server Unix to transmit data.

Comment

Working...
              X