This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System 36 Security

I've been helping a S/36 user recover from a disk crash. I can't remember or find a reference about re-implementing password security. A Google search didn't reveal much either. The SECREST USERID... procedure was used to restore the User file and SECDEF USERID,ACTPW was used to activate password security. However, after an IPL, the user logon screen is still not showing the Password prompt.

I would appreciate any help about this.

Re: System 36 Security

Wasn't the command SECEDIT to set up Security? It's been a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by RBOrrell View Post
      Wasn't the command SECEDIT to set up Security? It's been a long time.
      SECEDIT adds or changes records in the user identification file or the resource security file. I will use SECEDIT to check the user IDs.

SECDEF USERID,ACTPW is the command to activate password security, but, as I said in the original post, after an IPL, the password prompt is not showing on the log-on screen.

Thanks for the reply. Let me know if your long-term memory yields any more ideas.

Comment

If you mean that you're running the S/36 enhanced environment on IBM i, you can recover the whole system using the standard IBM i recovery procedures, no need to restore the S/36 environment separately from the rest of the backup or use S/36 commands.

Or, do you have an actual S/36 machine? If so, I won't be much help, it's been too long, and I have no idea where to find the manuals for that anymore...

Comment

I don't know how much help this will be but look here:

PHP Code:
          Basic SSP procedures include:
          SECDEF(*), to define security.
          SECEDIT(*), to change security.
          SECLIST(*), to report security.
          SECSAVE(*), to copy security from disk to media.
          SECREST(*), to copy security from media to disk.
          SECDROP(*), to remove security.PROF(**), 
          to edit password security
          The above is for a real system/36.....not the environment on an IBM i.

Best of luck
          GLS
          The problem with quotes on the internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity.....Abraham Lincoln

Comment

i worked on this old beast many years ago but i forget...This makes me sad to find one still in use and the pain you are feeling.
            Hunting down the future ms. Ex DeadManWalks. *certain restrictions apply

Comment

The box is a real S/36.

I found the System Reference Manual at http://www.textfiles.com/bitsavers/p...ence_Oct86.pdf

The manual description of the SECDEF command seems to be what is needed. I thought we had tried it. But amidst all the confusion, maybe not. So we'll try it now.

The pain I'm feeling is somewhat offset by the fact that I get paid by the hour. In addition, it makes me appreciate how far we have progressed.

Thanks for the comments and help.

I'll let you know what happens.

Comment

SECDEF USERID,ACTPW did its job and password security has been restored.

Now, on to the next step in the recovery...

Comment

Working...
                X