ibmi-brunch-learn

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I can't believe Best Buy was going to charge me 99.00 dollars.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't believe Best Buy was going to charge me 99.00 dollars.

Hi,

I ordered the book "Subfile Techniques for RPG/400 programmers " by Yergin and when the book arrived all of the coding examples where on a 1.44 floppy disk. The book is great but must be out of circulation since the coding examples are on a 1.44 floppy disk.

I went into a near by Best Buy to see how much it would cost to extract the information from the floppy disk and put it on my thumb drive. I couldn't believe Best Buy was going to charge me 99.00 dollars for that task. I told the Tech Geek he was crazy that I either find an old computer with a 1.44 floppy or purchase a USB floppy drive from Ebay for under 10.00. He said good luck!

Anyway, I found an old computer in our computer room that is used as a console and it had a 1.44 floppy disk and I copied the information to my thumb drive. It took me less than 5 minutes.

DAC

Re: I can't believe Best Buy was going to charge me 99.00 dollars.

Yeah, $99 for that service seems a bit inflated... They probably get people paying them that much for a task that takes them minutes.

But your first clue that the book would be way out of date was that it's called "Subfile Techniques for RPG/400 programmers" !

Here's one that's a bit more updated:
    Subfiles in Free-Format RPG: Rules, Examples, Techniques, and Other Cool Stuff

Comment

Working...
    X