Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disk requirements going to V7R1

Hello,

I need to upgrade the OS on my 2nd LPAR from V5R4 to V7R1. What are the disk requirements for going to V7R1? My 2nd LPAR is currently at .78 disk capacity and believe we need to add more hard drive space to the 2nd LPAR before the upgrade.

Thanks,

DAC

Re: Disk requirements going to V7R1

Since I haven't done that particular upgrade, I can only give my basic understanding out of many past upgrades. I'm sure other members will correct any errors or add required parts that I don't know. You should watch for new comments.

You have at least a couple possible elements. There's a good chance no one here has the same set of LPPs that you have, with all the same features/options. Your requirements can easily be very different.

First, you might start with Licensed program releases and sizes for V5R4. Then see the similar page for i 6.1. On the i 6.1 page at the bottom of the table, there is also a link that switches the table to show sizes for i 7.1.

By totaling your current V5R4 values, you could compare totals for i 6.1 and 7.1 for your system.

An additional element is to call the Allocate Licensed Internal Code (LIC) Space (QLPALCSP) API as a start. I've never used it for actual V5R4 allocation, so I don't know how much it's actually needed. (Every chance I've had to go from V5R4 to higher has involved new hardware.) I'd run it in your case, though, because LIC space must be assured separately no matter what.

I would start with either:
    Code:
    call QLPALCSP ('V6R1M0' '0')
    ...or:
    Code:
    call QLPALCSP ('V7R1M0' '0')
    It's likely best to run for i 7.1 even though required LIC space shows the same for both versions. If the API cannot allocate sufficient additional space, it will tell you.

The above example API calls are coded with the 'Start space allocation' parm set to '0' and no optional parameters. You might prefer setting that to '1' to defer the allocation to the next IPL rather than having it run the allocation immediately. I don't know if you'll have any extra IPL time available.

If I run the API today on i 6.1 requesting for 'V7R1M0', I only get a message saying that no additional allocation is needed. I'll probably make sure I have all of the latest i 6.1 PTFs before I'm ready to run my i 7.1 upgrade. You should certainly make sure V5R4 is fully up to date with PTFs in order for the API to have the best chance of hitting any i 7.1 LIC size target, in case any recent TRs have higher LIC space requirements.
    Tom

There are only two hard things in Computer Science: cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.

Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth?

Comment

it's been a long time but I do believe that you have to allocate LIC space for v6.1 and higher. i don't believe you'll see that much additional space required (a few MB perhaps) but if you are at 78% i would highly recommend adding the additional DASD if you are going to have that machine/LPAR around for a while, this is especially true if you are using journaling as journal receivers can eat up disk space fast if you aren't handling the cleanup on them. i believe Tom addressed most of what you need to be aware of. going from v5r4 to 6.1 or 7.1 will required object conversion so I highly recommend using the ANZOBJCVN command prior to your upgrade to ensure that all of your software (in-house or vendor) will pass conversion, if anything doesn't pass then until you resolve that issue i wouldn't do the upgrade as some of your apps may not work (not sure i wasn't brave enough to tempt fate!) or not work as intended. after you have that done and you do the upgrade I would recommend using the STROBJCVN to help with the task of converting the objects, they will convert during first use (similar to the CISC to RISC upgrade years ago) but that can take some time depending on your available resources and you can have that done during off-peak hours via STROBJCVN.
      I'm not anti-social, I just don't like people -Tommy Holden

Comment

I agree with Tom's advice. Also, Lane Leach at your business partner has done many of these and should be very familiar with the upgrade and your systems.

Comment

Working...
        X