printer config like telnet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• printer config like telnet

I have a project where I send data over to a windows box which then processes it and dispenses drugs. I am able to telnet to a box and send data over successfully. Is there a printer configuration that has same communication properties as a telnet session? Or is there a way that I can program a telnet connection and specify strings to send?
    Any fool can know. The point is to understand.

Re: printer config like telnet

FTP can be used to created tables ... populate them from PC side????
    Sorry still not sure exactly what you are trying to do..

Send more brains!

Jamie
    All my answers were extracted from the "Big Dummy's Guide to the As400"
    and I take no responsibility for any of them.

www.code400.com

Comment

Trying to avoid an FTP solution. Only need to send a total of 80 characters worth of information. Basically an interface between two systems, one hospital RX and the other that dispenses drugs. The receiving box is running windows server with ms sql 2005. The don't want to do and odbc connection to the 400 and would prefer a "printer dump." I can manually hit the windows box thru a telnet session and send over the data. Would like to know if there is a way using the command "Create Device Desc (Printer) (CRTDEVPRT)" that would have the same communication properties as a telnet session.

Comment

Build a web service that provides the information and let them worry about how they get it.
        "Time passes, but sometimes it beats the <crap> out of you as it goes."

Comment

why dont you just generate the spooled file on iseries side then use SNDDST or QtmmSendMail to email it out?
          All my answers were extracted from the "Big Dummy's Guide to the As400"
          and I take no responsibility for any of them.

www.code400.com

Comment

never mind, i just defined it as any other HP printer. The other end will just have to ignore all the printer control characters and substring out what they need. Thanks for the suggestions.

Comment

Working...
            X