Project on As/400 n VB need Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project on As/400 n VB need Help

I am planning to make final year project on Event Manager with VB6 as frontend and AS/400 as backend
    The database of the project is simple,since itz just adding da list and costs till the end without not much queries involved.
    So please help how should i proceed with da project

Thanks in advance

If u want, i can send the specification too

Re: Project on As/400 n VB need Help

What do you know about VB6 and AS/400 already? What kind of tools do you have at your disposal? How close to the beginning do we need to start?
    "Time passes, but sometimes it beats the <crap> out of you as it goes."

Comment

Well show us what you have done so far.
      Philippe

Comment

If you want to create a GUI front end, I would suggest utilizing a browser interface in lieu of a VB interface. With VB, you are going to be limited to only running the gui interface on clients that can execute a VB program. With a browser interface, any client with a browser can utilize the program.

If you insist on using VB, then you have a number of options to choose from as far as communicating back and forth from the client to the server. Before proceeding, you have to choose which method you are going to use. You have ODBC tools, dataq's (which requires client access), and sockets, plus others you can choose from. You have to choose the communication method first before proceeding forward.
        Michael Catalani
        IS Director, eCommerce & Web Development
        Acceptance Insurance Corporation
        www.AcceptanceInsurance.com
        www.ProvatoSys.com

Comment

It's a bit of a vague spec so far. You're trying to update a database file(s) on the 400 with a VB6 front end.
          My preference would be to use .Net and the IBM DB2 UDB for iSeries .NET Provider and some SQL stored procs. It's not too far from what you've suggested.
          Take a look here for some more info on the options along this sort of route..

There's a section on OLE DB too if you must stick to VB6.
          the smoking gnu

Comment

Working...
          X