Disk drive replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disk drive replacement

We have a 9406-520 with 10 drives in the system unit and 30 more in the expansion unit. The drives in the system unit are in a second LPAR (for development). All drives are 35G. Those in the development LPAR are not RAID protected.

We are looking at a big development project which will require more than the appox 350G available for this LPAR. So we are considering replacing the 35G drives with some used drives about double the size.

Question: Can we leave the load source and replace only some of the drives (to avoid OS reload) ? If we have to reload or replace the load source, how does this affect the production LPAR (because the drives to be replaced are in the system unit ) ? Anyone been down this path before ?

And, yes, we are also looking at the new blade to replace the 520, but that won't happen in time for this project.

Re: Disk drive replacement

Replacing the drives really isn't the problem. The big issue initially is going to be having enough DASD available to transfer data from the drives you want to replace (Load Balancing) before replacing them with whatever size drive you need. As long as you have that space, then pulling the data off the drive allows you to move whatever is necessary to replace the drives. If I'm not mistaken, this wouldn't matter if it's load source or not. A "bad drive" is a "bad drive" when it comes to replacing one. IBM setup the live-swap procedures just for this type situation. I doesn't matter whether it's upgrading a drive or if it's bad.

As to replacing 'SOME' of the drives... this is possible, as long as you fit the size of the drives into each drive bay. Meaning, you probably want to get 4 70gb drives to replace 4 35gb drives. That sort of thing.

Clear as mud?

BTW .. I have a close friend that's in that refurbish biz and would help you understand and/or even sell you the DASD and let you know your options if you want to discuss it with him. If you're interested, send me a PM and I'll get you two hooked up to discuss.

Comment

Re: Disk drive replacement

Thanks, that is what I thought, but I was worried about the drives being in the system vs expansion. What I just found out is that our docs are wrong. The dev LPAR is in the expansion box anyway. Since its "test" data, I can delete all user libs. remove as many drives as required, then replace them.

Comment

Working...
      X