History Log File

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• History Log File

I'm a firm believer that you should never re-invent the wheel. (I tried but everyone said it should be round instead of triangular. Somepeople have no immagination)

Anyway, I have been given the dubious honour of trying to find a way to extract information from a history log file showing name, device, start and stop time... in seperate fields that can then be downloaded to a PC.

It sounds reasonable to me and my bet is that someone has done this before or knows what sort of API is out there.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Red

Re: History Log File

I have an old version of this I will look @ home but.....it just dumps the log to a spooled file and parses thru it.......Its easy to get around also if familiar with how the start and stop job messages (CPF1124(start) CPF1164(end)) you can just goto the message file and change the msgdta field definitions to dec instead of *CHAR and this method is foiled.

Let me know if you want this tool

I would just add a signon program to each persons userid that logs starttime and end time to a table.....one program on solution .....

Jamie
    All my answers were extracted from the "Big Dummy's Guide to the As400"
    and I take no responsibility for any of them.

www.code400.com

Comment

I was figuring on something similar. Reading through the file and breaking out fields based on some character I could scan for and write the results to a file.
      not tough just time consumming and kind of clunky.

I was hoping some genious would have a simple idea that I could say "Wow, that's so simple!!! What a fool I've been"

Oh well, my fingers need the exercise

Thanks Jamie

Comment

Have you thought about changing the routing insturctions on the subsystem to log an entry in a table when a job starts.
        Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Comment

Working...
        X