OUTQ holds spool file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OUTQ holds spool file

The outq puts the spool file on hold, so the user calls me and says their report is not printing. So I release the spool file to print only to have the outq or system immediately put the spool file back on hold. This has happened several times to different people and I usually end up sending their report to a different outq. The report will print fine in another outq, so its not the report. Ever heard of this one? How do I regain control of the outq? Thanks

Re: OUTQ holds spool file

This is sometimes caused by an error (outq points to invalid printer, etc). Check the system log DSPLOG and also check the system reply list. There are several printer/outq error messages that have a reply option to hold the entry.

Comment

There are messages in the DSPLOG, but nothing that allows or requires a reply. It just gives information on the action which is:

File WFPXPFR$ held by writer RPC242PRT on output queue RPC242PRT in QUSRSYS. Writer RPC242PRT stopped printing file WFQBPFR$. Cancel on device RPC242PRT.

The device is not cancelled or stopped though, it just puts the spool file on hold. Can you help further? By the way, you are super fast, thank you much!

Comment

The spooled file contains characters that are not supported on the printer.
        for example if the printer is a band printer and your print file contains font size keywords they would be placed on hold and not print.

there is a setting on the printer I think that lets you replace non-printable characters with another......

try to print the report on a different laser and see what happens.

jamie
        All my answers were extracted from the "Big Dummy's Guide to the As400"
        and I take no responsibility for any of them.

www.code400.com

Comment

Working...
        X