ibmi-brunch-learn

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WRKDBF on V6R1 not working - Alternate utility??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WRKDBF on V6R1 not working - Alternate utility??

I have been using WRKDBF for 5 years. Now official dead for V6R1 unless you pay a hefty price $499.

Is there an alternate utility available? I can use SQL for insert,update and delete.

There may be a way to overcome this problem by writing some programs using API. I just don't know what API I have to use.

Please help!

Thanks.

Re: WRKDBF on V6R1 not working - Alternate utility??

I've never seen that command before. I usually use SQL or occasionally a bit of DFU. Out of interest I just tried it on one of our files with a large varying length string field. These always come unstuck in DFU and so it seems with WRKDBF. SQL is the only way I know of to work with every file.
    Ben

Comment

DBU is a great utility that does what WRKDBF does and more. However, its also a hefty price tag.

Comment

Actually, WRKDBF is $449 and I don't consider that to be expensive, especially for the productivity gains alone.

Old unsupported free version:
        Jonas Temple
        Got FROG?
        Got Tadpole? No, because it's not done yet! Stay tuned....

01010111 01100001 01110011 01110011 01110101 01110000 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100111 00111111

Comment

A little late I guess, but WRKDBF is still working on V6R1.
          You just have to install UNDEL II that Dave McKenzie wrote.
          As I recall - it can be found here:http://think400.dk/files/undel2_2.0.6.zip readme.txt
          Pls. read the 'ReadMe'
          Leif
          Attached Files

Comment

I know old post just wanted to add info for those using UPDDTA!!!

also CGIDEV2 has a WRKDBF
            IBM i RPG developers may very easily create web sites by using Easy400.net tools. Remote support is provided.

jamie
            All my answers were extracted from the "Big Dummy's Guide to the As400"
            and I take no responsibility for any of them.

www.code400.com

Comment

I am a DBU'er and don't care what it costs. (just kidding)

I think it is a good deal considering what we pay for other products.

Comment

We have DBU also and I love DBUJRN
                (even though they can't fix the subset data in it )
                All my answers were extracted from the "Big Dummy's Guide to the As400"
                and I take no responsibility for any of them.

www.code400.com

Comment

Haven't posted for some time and then I get an email saying someone responded to this thread. Since leaving my RPG job I'm now working on a Java based system running on both DB2 / AIX and SQL Server / Windows Server. Most of the development is done on the IBM stack and then we test on the MS stack for those customers with an MS preference (they do exist).

When it comes to running DB queries or updates 99% of the time we all use a tool called SQuirreL. You can setup aliases to any DB server you like, you just need to locate the relevant JDBC connector jar and enter the connection parameters. On the AS400 I tended to use STRSQL but I used to find the prompting would come unstuck if you tried to do anything other than a straight select. SQuirreL is much better in that regard, it always seems to find the correct field and table names. You also get a much bigger space to type your SQL statement than the old greenscreen interface and you can have multiple connections open to different servers if required. Best of all it's free.

I'm sure there are other such tools available. You just need to be able to make a JDBC connection which should be dead easy. It's worth a look if like I did you find the old greenscreen tools a bit limiting. UPDDTA and the like always used to come unstuck with fields that were too big for the greenscreen to render. That's why I always used to use SQL.
                  Ben

Comment

nice of you to pop in Ben...Hope all is well with you.
                    I'm here to chew bubble gum and kick @#%@#%@#%.....and I'm all outta bubble gum !
                    Yes I'm talking to you squirrel nuts.

Comment

Yeah I'm good thanks. It's been a busy year for me. Since changing jobs I've been to five weddings, turned 30 and most importantly become a dad! It brought back good memories seeing the code400 email so I couldn't resist replying. I have dropped in once in a while but many of the posts go over my head these days.
                      Ben

Comment

Congrats on the Baby......
                        Maybe some lead in the fish & Chips

&#$&#$&#$&#$ I have jeans older than you!
                        I'm here to chew bubble gum and kick @#%@#%@#%.....and I'm all outta bubble gum !
                        Yes I'm talking to you squirrel nuts.

Comment

Congrats on becoming a dad!!
                          My first is due late February.
                          Regards

Kit
                          http://www.ecofitonline.com
                          DeskfIT - ChangefIT - XrefIT

Comment

lol it made me feel old this week when I found out my colleague had never heard the John Barnes rap. It's on a song the England football team recorded for Italia 90. Turns out this lad who I had assumed was the same age as me was only born in 89. I guess this is the shape of things to come. Last week I got told I was wearing a "dads cardie". I had to reply "but I am a dad".

Congratulations Kit. Make the most of being able to lie in while you still can.
                            Ben

Comment

There's this thing called FROG as well .... haven't tried it on V6R1. Personally I like WRKDBF on V5R3 as it's convenient to the green screen.

@Ben - Congrats on joining the Dad Club!
                              @Kit - Congrats on having membership to the Club approved!
                              Greg Craill: "Life's hard - Get a helmet !!"

Comment

Working...
                              X