map external Windows or Unix server directory to shared folders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• map external Windows or Unix server directory to shared folders

We currently map external Windows Server directories to the IFS directory called QNTC. Someone asked if we could do the same mapping with Windows or UNIX directories to QDLO (Document Library Object) folders.

Why the @#$* would I want to do this, you may ask? .. So we can use an as/400 utility that automatically deletes old QDLO files, on Windows files.

Re: map external Windows or Unix server directory to shared folders

hehe better question ask them "why? does your inferior system not capable of this function?"
    I'm not anti-social, I just don't like people -Tommy Holden

Comment

WindozePhobia. Trying hard to manage company off a green single screen menu. Not a bad idea in theory.

Comment

not sure it would work since i haven't tried it but would mapping via QNTC to the windows server and using RMVLNK work? if so seems it would be a lot easier...
        I'm not anti-social, I just don't like people -Tommy Holden

Comment

I'm a 110% noobie with IFS stuff, so be gentle...

We have a current process using the DLS which is twitchy with a lot of manual steps for the user who ActiveSynch's some files from a handheld scanner onto his PC, then runs a .BAT to move those files onto a NT/Server then takes an AS400 Menu option to read this file and process it *then* does some cleanup afterwards (deleteing processed files from the NT box)

This just seems ridiculous to me so I would like to change this process to access a folder on a Windows/NT server directly from the 400 and suck it up and process it all automatically:

(a) automatically import/upload any files found in that folder upto the 400 - let me call it that for arguments sake ....
          (b) do some processing on the 400
          (c) if process is OK then I want to move aforementioned TXT file from one NT server to another folder on another server, marking it as processed.

So how to I create a Link to the Windows Folder from the 400.. I'm looking at various WRKLNK things and thought I would check with you guys first...

Can you point me in the right direction?
          Last edited by NickLitten; August 31, 2009, 09:42 AM.
          predictably positive, permanently punctilious, purposely proactive, potentially priceless, primarily professional : projex

Comment

Working...
          X