Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting S/36 RPGII to RPGIII or ILE

Hello all,

We have a large number of RPGII source code programs at thie shop I am at and I would dearly love to have these in a more up todate format. A rewrite is not going to be acceptable because of the time involved. Purchasing a package is not an option.
    The batch and report programs can be easily changed to RPGIII and then run through the CVTRPGSRC. No problem there.
    I'm having more difficulty changing over the screen programs. They are all designed to use s/36 display files and the display files are all program described and the display files are the primary files
    (FWRK CP F 1020 WORKSTN )
    I presumme this was standard in a S/36 environment.

Is there anyone out there who has gone down this murky road before me who can offer some tips, suggestions or (best of all) a utlility. I'm not sure how to code a display file as a primary file in RPGIII or ILE

Thank you!

Re: Converting S/36 RPGII to RPGIII or ILE

I guess we are even cause I cant remember the last time I saw a s/36 display file.

I havent seen any tools to convert s/36 internal display files to external.

I do have an example of a simple subfile here ==> http://www.code400.com/simplelookup.php

there are many examples on the home page of displays, but this would be
    a bunch of work as you would have to create a display for each program that currently uses the internally defined screens.

Are you using external displays for your new development now?

Jamie
    Attached Files
    All my answers were extracted from the "Big Dummy's Guide to the As400"
    and I take no responsibility for any of them.

www.code400.com

Comment

All new development is ILE and display files are all externally described. I have no problem programming in ILE or RPGIII.
      I can work with the RPGII code and even the internally described files. I just feel it's time to move the code into something more up todate.
      The biggest problem is that the display files in the old RPGII programs are setup as the primary file. I am use to seeing them as fully procedural files and then displayed using an EXFMT for the required screen

Comment

Oh I see......I hate to say this but "If it aint broke, don't fix it"
        you might be better off just leaving that alone I have been searching and this guy might be able to help. I only have an email and I dont know if its even good.

AS400Claude@hotmail.com

I sent him an email and it hasnt returned yet.

I do have a program to convert o-specs to printerfiles if you need.

I will keep searching.....

Take care
        Jamie
        All my answers were extracted from the "Big Dummy's Guide to the As400"
        and I take no responsibility for any of them.

www.code400.com

Comment

Thanks Jamie,

Don't kill yourself over it. It's a "nice to have" not a "must have"

Comment

As I remember, the old display files used S & D specs to define the screens. I have seen converters, but don't remember where offhand.

But changing the primary file isn't that hard. A primary simply does a READ at the top of the calc cycle, and (conditionally) writes output at end of cycle. In most cases with screen displays, the output is EXCPT output anyway. So replace that with a WRITE instead.

Comment

I'd recommend leaving the old programs as is--for now. Then change the more frequently used programs (convert into ILE), and use ILE for any new programs.

Comment

Working...
              X